Do I want to Much

IdahoJoe

I would like a rifle that:

70 Degree or less bolt throw.
Shoots 1/2 MOA or better with good hunting bullets (Nosler Accubond)
3 Position Safety or some other means to lock the bolt and safely unload (SAKO)
available in custom calibers.
Price around $1500
Is well built.
Has controlled round feed is a +

After Market Options would be great as well

Is there something close?

Buy a Bighorn TL3 action for $1200~ and save for the rest. It's worth it. The actions are made so true that your smith doesn't need to see it again for you to get shouldered rifles and u can quick change em. I think the difference between one action from another is 2 ten thousandths.

just buy one already built used, all kind fer sale, get A good barrel kreiger brux broughton rock creek bartly hart shilen the barrel is the key to falling in love wit your rifle barrel is the key factor

1/2 MOA and controlled round feed may not go together as easily as many think .
If you are wanting all the accuracy you can get then I would go a push feed action .
You don't ever see a custom BR action made with CRF .

May want to consider a Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vangaurd build. Pick up a cheap, used donor rifle and have your choice of aftermarket stock and barrel. Would get you a good action and a 3 position safety. Depending on your budget Bell and Carlson makes a good affordable stock but McMillan and Manners are options. If you were really pinching penny's you could have ER Shaw barrel it for you with one of their tubes. I doubt you'll find someone to hang their hat on a half minute garauntee for what you're wanting to spend.

I built a 7 mag with a $325 used Howa action and put it into an HS stock and it's a hammer!

If the tang safety is negotiable, i would buy the ruger american predator in 6.5. Put it into a boyds and duracoat it. I have now done load decelopment on around a dozen of them and i have yet to find one that won't shoot 1/2 moa. Save you tons of money and have a very fine shooting rifle without the fuss.

Price around $1500
Is well built.

What you're asking for is exactly a Sako 85 except for custom calibers but, that's just picking your second barrel and having it fitted.

70deg bolt throw, CRF, 2-*** safety with bolt release (you can then open the bolt with the safety on to unload while on safe), is amazingly well built, price is 1500-1800 retail, if you can't get 1/2 MOA from it you're probably not trying.

sako 85 | SAKO

Price around $1500
Is well built.

Check out Montana Rifle Company » ACTIONS

Good luck!

Buy a Bighorn TL3 action for $1200~ and save for the rest. It's worth it. The actions are made so true that your smith doesn't need to see it again for you to get shouldered rifles and u can quick change em. I think the difference between one action from another is 2 ten thousandths.

Not exactly what the OP is looking for but I know exactly what you mean. I have the SR2 LA in my last full custom build and I am very pleased with it.

I love my X-Bolts!

Things that do meet your criteria: I get 1/2 MOA from my X-Bolt in 6.5 and .308 (which I think I'm going to have a.338Fed barrel made for). You keep the bolt unlock and 60-degree throw. Unloading is safe and the magazines are super-slick! Note how many are copying the rotary design? You keep nice construction. You come in in the $600-1200 range.

Things that don't meet your criteria: Push feed, with a nice-sized M-16 (Sako)-style extractor, so not technically CRF, but I have yet to misfeed a round in the field (give Mr. Murphy time to raise his head, eh?). You lose the custom caliber, but there is a fair variety available.

By the way, the Ruger American Predator from previously is also a nice suggestion if you want to go the factory route.

What custom caliber do you want?

With the exception of aftermarket accessories the x bolt is your huckleberry. I have one in 270 that will shoot sub half moa consistently. I want to hate it but I can't seem to make myself part with it, the **** thing shoots.

Is there anyone out there that lives close to blyth Ontario that shoots up to 500 yards that would want to shoot with me and give me a few pointers?

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.