Dillon 550 vs Hornady LNL AP, which one to keep?

SavageHunter11

A couple weeks ago I bought a Dillon 550C with the intention of reloading 223, 10mm, and 45acp. It's so new I haven't even had the chance to load anything with it yet with the holidays and all. Well this morning I was helping my grandmother take down her Christmas decorations and as a thank you she gave me my late grandpa's lightly used Hornady PNP AP. Wondering which one I should keep, I doubt I need both and my bench does not really have room for both. Anyone have hands on experience with both and willing to offer an opinion?

The only reason I prefer the LnL AP to the Dillon 550, is that I can cycle the press and complete the load cycle without removing my right hand from the lever, using my left to place brass and seat bullets.

The Dillon 550 needs the hand that's cycling for shellplate work.

The LnL powder system is more flexible because it works with inserts, so one insert per caliber for powder drop for the pistol calibers. For .223, depending on what powder you use, you may need a rifle rotor instead of a pistol rotor in the powder measure. Takes 2 minutes to change if you work slowly.

The priming system in the LnL AP changes quickly from large to small primer - not sure the 550.

I would make space on the bench for both, keep the Dillon setup for .223, and the LnL for the pistol calibers.

Both are excellent machines. Keep them, it'll cost you nothing.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts