Dialing vs. Holdover For Long Range Hunting

Hello,

Just so you guys understand a little about who Dr. Hazelton is..and his ballistic programs and expertise.

Steve Reichert uses him as instructor for the SRT ballistic course.
Fredrik Jonsson --Maritime sniper expert and author of Maritime Sniper Manual uses the AIM-E program.
Tacflow Academy uses a proprietary program from Dr Hazelton for their Moving Platform training programs.

AIM-E Brochure http://www.empyrealsciences.com/AIM-EBrochure.pdf

Here is summary of Dr Hazletons experience. http://www.empyrealsciences.com/library/images/Resume_Hazelton.pdf
Nothing against Brian but Dr. Hazleton is really on a different level. Brian is more sport oriented, while Dr. Hazelton is more military oriented.

THEIS

Those are wonderful links to the credentials of Dr Hazleton.

There are so many things called X-Ring. Where do we get this X-Ring software?

How did this become a Hazelton vs Litz argument?

Please lets return to techniques vs who makes better software.

Per WWBs own statement:

WWB: what is the difference between your combat approach vs a precision approach and why is it you "don't believe in" a precision approach for long range hunting?

The whole deal with the holdover process is the FFP reticle, ranging with it and using the reticle mil marks for that range.

If you are shooting at a 6' man it works well. You know the size of your target and it is a pretty large target and a hit anywhere will do the job. And most importantly it is fast. Not precision but fast.

He knows he can't compete with a laser range finder, ballistic software and dialing for precision.

Both have their place. Pick the one that is best for you.

This argument is much like the.full length sizing vs neck sizing argument. There is no right or wrong answer. It is what works for you

Personally i like laser range finder and.my kestrel

X-Ring is available through the link that THEIS posted earlier. Empyreal...
And by the way, Hazelton's posted credentials are a fraction of his accomplishments.

X-Ring is available through the link that THEIS posted earlier. Empyreal...
And by the way, Hazelton's posted credentials are a fraction of his accomplishments.

I'm sorry, I don't think I fully understand. We should contact Empyreal Sciences, LLC directly by phone or email to get an explanation of the X-Ring software and availability?

I understand that Hazelton's credentials extend beyond his posted CV. So do other bailistitions. You can't put everything you've ever done out there. It becomes a distraction to have to much detail.

Yes, contact them directly.

I got the information regarding X-Ring from Empyreal Sciences LLC I was looking for. Pricing and availability.

For non-commercial or military use it is more expensive than the others, however not as expensive as I would have thought.

It will go on my list of things to acquire. I can't at the moment but I'm sure I will be able to in the future.

Until then, I'll have to live with Streloc Pro and Streloc which I have done well by so far.

X-Ring is light years ahead of the curve. The US Government computers are a minimum of 25 years ahead of whats available in the civilian marketplace, and X-Ring is approximately 70+ years ahead of the other ballistic software programs. No joke.

Nice. I like the play stations in Mobile, Alabama the best! Peterson has nothing on them!

Funny isn't​ it. They even use the older version because it can run Linux. No wonder they are always getting hacked. LOL.

I do understand what you are saying about cutting edge stuff they use in certain applications though. They have IBM doing research in quantum computing now...

Eventually the smoke clears and the mirrors break into pieces, along with the people that were responsible for the lives of others. Its very simple really. Do One Simple Comparison.

Suggestion: Use a .308 as it can be a little challenging at 1,000 yards.

1. Go to a 1,000 yard range;

2. Setup one paper target at 1,000 yards;
a. If you'd like, setup range flags;

3. You Only get to take one shot, from each solution.

4. Calculate your hold from AB and take your One Shot.

5. Calculate your hold from X-Ring and take your One Shot.

6. Compare your results.

Eventually the smoke clears and the mirrors break into pieces, along with the people that were responsible for the lives of others. Its very simple really. Do One Simple Comparison.

Suggestion: Use a .308 as it can be a little challenging at 1,000 yards.

1. Go to a 1,000 yard range;

2. Setup one paper target at 1,000 yards;
a. If you'd like, setup range flags;

3. You Only get to take one shot, from each solution.

4. Calculate your hold from AB and take your One Shot.

5. Calculate your hold from X-Ring and take your One Shot.

6. Compare your results.

I've done this but without x-ring which I'm working through understanding it's operation and will be getting a system in the future as it definitely has some things to look at. I run 215 Bergers from my 308 at 2460 which is mild but it will yield a three round group including cold bore in the low 3 inch range at 1000 yards and will be dead nuts on, I can take it to 1535 then and while the group opens up it will be dead nuts on. This is with AB, no tuning just very careful correct numbers.
With careful data collection I have zero issues being on beyond a mile with AB, taken game cold bore across several thousand feet of elevation change and 80 degree temp swings and been nuts on. So while AB is perfectly adequate for under 2000 yards and well proven so with quality numbers I find the x-ring system very interesting as a whole!!!!

Last edited:
Wow! Now that's worth seeing. How Soon can we meet?
I have two facilities. One is located in Southern Utah that's Cowboy comfortable, and one that is located in Western Colorado that has Five star accommodations. Both are amazing places to shoot, with distances beyond 5k. I'd Love to film it!

Maybe some day, I've researched your course but in reality it would not gain me range at this point so maybe when we get to a range where x-ring may add to my shooting I'll be looking at it for sure!!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.