Current model SLC's vs Current Model EL's

Elkwonder

With the current models of these two Binos, is there really an $800 dollar difference between the two? I mean, I have read that there are people on other forums that claim the SLC is close to being just as good. I have also read some people that swear that the EL is way better.
If someone is not an optics EXPERT, but just wants good glass to set behind without getting a headache, is the EL really worth the extra $800.00? How many of you guys hunt with the SLC's because you can't justify the extra price for the EL's? Just wondering what your guys thought are???

Last edited:
If you want the best bang for the buck then look at the Leupold 10x42 Mohave HD's. I sold my 20 year old SLC's to get a pair of these and the glass quality is stunning and they are very lightweight. And I had $$$ left over.

If you want the best bang for the buck then look at the Leupold 10x42 Mohave HD's. I sold my 20 year old SLC's to get a pair of these and the glass quality is stunning and they are very lightweight. And I had $$$ left over.

Not even in the same ball park as the new SLC's or ELs, they can't touch the edge to edge clarity, colors, detail, build quality, etc.

Back to the OP's question.

The EL's have swarovision, which is a field flattening lense and creates full edge to edge clarity. The EL's do color and detail better, I like the ergos a little better and they are made of magnesium.

New SLC's are a tad brighter and a little lighter. They also adapt to a tripod easier.

Real world, they are pretty darned close and it comes down to just a few nit picky points and personal preference. That being said, I sold my slc hds and went to the EL 12x50 which is the best single piece of glass for western hunting I have used.

Not even in the same ball park as the new SLC's or ELs, they can't touch the edge to edge clarity, colors, detail, build quality, etc.

Back to the OP's question.

The EL's have swarovision, which is a field flattening lense and creates full edge to edge clarity. The EL's do color and detail better, I like the ergos a little better and they are made of magnesium.

New SLC's are a tad brighter and a little lighter. They also adapt to a tripod easier.

Real world, they are pretty darned close and it comes down to just a few nit picky points and personal preference. That being said, I sold my slc hds and went to the EL 12x50 which is the best single piece of glass for western hunting I have used.

This is a very good assessment of the current Swarovski offerings. I have the 10x42 SLC model and with my eyes, they are more than enough for me. Of course, I wear glasses so sometimes the best really can't offer me much advantage.

I also have a pair of the 15x56 Swarovskis. Work great on the range calling others shots. Also looking forward to using them win the field this fall chasing deer and pronghorn. Nice compromise between binos and a spotter.

Never said they were in the same ballpark. Stated that they are the best quality optic for the dollar spent.

In my opinion that would be the meopta Meostars or the nikon monarch 7s, If it isn't a zeiss victory series, leica noctovid, ultravid, geo vid, swarovski, or meopta meostar.. Its most likely just asian import glass..

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.