Crown issue?

wasskeet

Maybe get a ruling from the experts here. Bought a second hand barrel and have had a very difficult time getting it to shoot. Caliber is known to be easy to find a load for. After about 160-170 rounds trying to get some consistency and seeing some great ES/SD numbers, but practically no good groups. Certainly no consistent performance group wise, a friend loaned me his bore scope. The photos are what I found at the crown. To me, this looks like something I need to rule out before wasting more powder/bullets.
What do you guys think? Re-crown possibly required?

Attachments

• IMG_8274.jpeg
    IMG_8274.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_8273.jpeg
    IMG_8273.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 77
Maybe get a ruling from the experts here. Bought a second hand barrel and have had a very difficult time getting it to shoot. Caliber is known to be easy to find a load for. After about 160-170 rounds trying to get some consistency and seeing some great ES/SD numbers, but practically no good groups. Certainly no consistent performance group wise, a friend loaned me his bore scope. The photos are what I found at the crown. To me, this looks like something I need to rule out before wasting more powder/bullets.
It's not terrible, but it's not great.
I would just get the crown re-cut to ease any anxiousness about it.
What does the throat look like?

Cheers.

I found that one of the easiest and less expensive ways to get a barrel to shoot better after1K rounds and steadily decreased accuracy is to re-crown it. Now that goes with you owning the rifle and it did shoot well and slowly decreased accuracy over hundreds of rounds. I can say that because i have a lathe and can re-crown. BUT a GS in your area can probably do it for $75.00.
#1 It is a used barrel and you probably don't know the whole history and actual round count.
#2 Did the barrel ever shoot well?
#3 That is the issues with used barrels. Unless you really know the previous owner and how it shot it is like picking lottery tickets.
This is a barrel that you don't have a known history and there are so many variables for accuracy.

To me, this looks like something I need to rule out before wasting more powder/bullets.

This is the simple solution to allay any fears you might have about the condition of the crown. Get the crown re-cut.

Remember though that group size is influenced by a dozen other variables which should also be checked along with your crown.

Be sure the action is true to the barrel and the bore line.

Check the chamber, leade and throat.

Scope mounts and scope.

Bedding should be stress-free.

Etc...

:)

To rule out many other variables (not all) , removed that barrel, replaced with 6 BRA barrel (used) and first 4 groups were as pictured.

Attachments

• IMG_8261.jpeg
    IMG_8261.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 21