Crossbow Shooters - What are you shooting?

wicked ridge invader. Rage open on impact 100s Nothing fancy but it shoots and kills well.

Why would you use a 100 gr vs 125 gr Rage (which is what I bought for my hunting this year)?
Just curious what the advantage vs disadventages would be.

mostly because with my wicked ridge they recomend using only aluminum arrows vs carbon and there a bit heavier and when i went to 100s i really noticed a differnce in how flat it shot out to 50 yards compared to the 125s. Also lighter broadheads are usualy easier to tune for.

mostly because with my wicked ridge they recomend using only aluminum arrows vs carbon and there a bit heavier and when i went to 100s i really noticed a differnce in how flat it shot out to 50 yards compared to the 125s. Also lighter broadheads are usualy easier to tune for.

Both my crossbows are Barnett's (Quad 400 & Ghost 410) and they came with 22" Carbon Headhunter arrows and 125 gr field points so that's why I went with the 125 gr broad heads. Plus most crossbow sites recommend the 125 gr for deer which is specifically what I got them for.
Anyway I appreciate the input.

I started crossbow hunting for the same reason except my total is up to 5 surgerys now. You bought a real nice unit there. Most consider 10 point the best. Mine has accudraw too and i much prefer it over those crank cockers.
Just bought my first crossbow after having 3 back surgeries. A Ten Point Stealth SS with range master pro scope an acudraw.:) Just trying to decide on what broadheads to use.

I bowhunted for many years with a Bighorn takedown recurve. Took over 10 elk with it, but after shoulder trouble I cannot shoot it. After moving to WY last year I found out that I can use a Xbow in the regular archery season, so I picked up a Horton fury, reverse draw. Liked the reverse draw better due to the balance issue. All the weight is centered between your hands , not out in front. I have been shooting it for a week now and really like it. I think I can take an elk out to 35-40 yds.

I should have done a little more research though. I found out after buying the bow that Horton archery is tits up now. will have a hard time getting parts or warranty work :( AJ

Scorpyd!!! I shot a bunch probably have 5 different bows and this is just engineered so much better. And accuracy is amazing.

This last year been using the carbon express SLS.Really like the feel and size of it.At times he feels a bit heavy and loud.But have had some real good luck hunting with it .

I just traded in a Horton Havoc 175# reverse draw bow for a Excalibur bow. I liked the Horton but since Horton is no longer in business I thought it wise to get a different bow.

Velocity: 380 FPS
Draw Weight: 260 lbs.
Power Stroke: 13.1"
Mass Weight: 5.9 lbs.
Overall Length: 35.6"
Arrow Length: 18"
Arrow Weight: 350 Grains
Stock Type: Ergo-Grip
Finish: Realtree Xtra
Arrow speeds obtained using 350 grain arrow and standard Matrix string.

It has a Tact Zone scope that has an adjustable bolt speed feature. Does anyone have or have experience with this brand of bow?

Any crossbow shooters out there? What are you shooting?

I'm shooting an Excalibur Matrix 380. It's lightning fast and extremely accurate. However, it is extremely loud, but I have never had a deer jump the string because the arrow gets there so fast and I don't take extra long shot. I have my bow mounted with a Trijicon scope that will allow shots out to 80 yards. If I could only own one weapon, this might be it. It's easy to repair due to the simplicity of the system. I always have a spare string in the truck should something go wrong. I took a buck and 3 doe with it last year and a couple of gobblers this spring. With the other crossbows on the market you have way too many moving parts and if something goes wrong your trip is over. I have Excalibur's cocking device which makes it easy for a man with back problems like me to cock it in the same place over and over which we all know is the secret to accuracy. If you're thinking about getting a crossbow, get an Excalibur. You can't go wrong with a Matrix.

Lifelong bowhunter with health issues forcing me to a crossbow...
Mission MXB 400 with Mission Pro package. Totally amazes me, accurate, relatively quiet, light weight. 425 grain arrows over 390 fps and can change strings in the field or tune it down as you like to fly big fixed blades. Quality all around.

Recent Posts