Crossbow Shooters - What are you shooting?

Just getting started with my first crossbow, a TAC 15i (integrated lower).
In retrospect, I might have been better off with a TAC 15; and getting a separate AR lower. Easier to work on, in that the TAC 15i has to be unbolted vs. the TAC 15 just breaking open and coming apart from the AR lower.

My two positive comments about the TAC 15 is the integrated shuttle cocking system with the looped release over a metal catch; and the fact the Xbow's string does not touch the rail, thus no rubbing, and less need of replacement.

My one negative comment about the TAC 15i (integrated lower) is the hammer hits an internal stop pin that makes a lot of noise (85** db @ 1 meter), by itself. The pin goes from the left side to the right side of the upper assembly, and the hammer hits the pin just above a notch in the lower part of the hammer. The whole thing looks like it is just begging for a rubber pad or spring to soften the hammer, thus quieting the metal to metal whack.

Maybe this is unique to the TAC 15i or mine is missing some cushioning pad. No way to know, until I can compare mine to someone else's TAC 15i. For that matter maybe all TAC 15s make a loud hammer noise by hitting a different stop?
I do know a normal AR hammer does not stop till it is nearly vertical. On the TAC 15i the hammer is stopped long before vertical, like 50-60? degrees from vertical.

Really, would be nice to have a parts diagram with cut-way/exploded views of the two models. :cool:

A heads-up: The latest TAC 15 has been changed from the earlier models. The cocking crank no longer is (or can be) stored as shown in PSE's current video. PSE decided not to include the crank hole-slot on the right side with the holding magnets.

** Remeasured using a Digital db meter with ability to store Maximum value (Analog meter was to slow and no capture).
** 80db ~= Garbage Disposal in sound level / Rustling of Leaves ~= 10db / Soft Whisper != 30db

Last edited:
I shoot a Strykeforce with a Excal luma scope over an HHA Optimizer. This xbow likes the Red Hot arrows and 125 gr field points.I use Nap Spitfires for hunting ,same POI as field tips.

My two positive comments about the TAC 15 is the integrated shuttle cocking system with the looped release over a metal catch; and the fact the Xbow's string does not touch the rail, thus no rubbing, and less need of replacement.

My one negative comment about the TAC 15i (integrated lower) is the hammer hits an internal stop pin that makes a lot of noise (85** db @ 1 meter), by itself. The pin goes from the left side to the right side of the upper assembly, and the hammer hits the pin just above a notch in the lower part of the hammer. The whole thing looks like it is just begging for a rubber pad or spring to soften the hammer, thus quieting the metal to metal whack.

I have the Tac 15 with a Rock River lower and a match grade trigger that is sweet to shoot.

It is interesting that you mentioned the noise of the hammer fall because you can hear mine
but I don't think it is that loud .

BUT. It was loud enough that I tried an experiment to quieten it down and it worked for a
limited number of shots (10 to 15 on average).

I simply placed a strip of moleskin with a self adhesive on the back on the front of the
hammer and it did not change anything except the sound (Everything else works the same).

I practice with out the moleskin and when I get ready to go hunting I pull the back pin
and break the lower and upper open (Like an over and under) exposing the hammer and
stick the moleskin strip on the face of the hammer that strikes the release on the TAC 15.

It weighs almost nothing and as I said does not interfere with the operation of the cross
bow.

I have not tried anything else because this works very well.

I have not killed anything with it but that is fixing to change this weekend. (Going after hogs)

J E CUSTOM

I simply placed a strip of moleskin with a self adhesive on the back on the front of the hammer and it did not change anything except the sound (Everything else works the same).
I didn't try moleskin, but I did try covering the hammer stop pin with thick heat shrink and a nylon bushing, along with using a modified (carved) nylon screw as a in-line hammer stop. The heat shrink got sliced by the impact and the nylon bushing didn't seem to reduce the noise. The carved nylon screw did help, and resulted in a 6 db drop.

Since my TAC 15 has the integrated lower, I am wondering if the Hammer spring could be reduced in strength, the Hammer itself be lightened, and still hit the Loop latch with enough force to reliably release the string. With less Hammer weight and spring strength, the Hammer impacting the Hammer stop pin should be quieter. With some padding, the sound level might be reduced even more.

More experimenting needs to be done.

I didn't try moleskin, but I did try covering the hammer stop pin with thick heat shrink and a nylon bushing, along with using a modified (carved) nylon screw as a in-line hammer stop. The heat shrink got sliced by the impact and the nylon bushing didn't seem to reduce the noise. The carved nylon screw did help, and resulted in a 6 db drop.

Since my TAC 15 has the integrated lower, I am wondering if the Hammer spring could be reduced in strength, the Hammer itself be lightened, and still hit the Loop latch with enough force to reliably release the string. With less Hammer weight and spring strength, the Hammer impacting the Hammer stop pin should be quieter. With some padding, the sound level might be reduced even more.

More experimenting needs to be done.

I have no way to measure the noise level ,but it did dull the metallic sound on mine.

The old bow hunter in me likes everything quite and even though the TAC 15 is very fast
and chances are nothing is going to have time to react to the sound , I still like things to
be as quite as possible.

The reason I used the mole skin tape is so I could change it out often or remove it to use
with my 450 bushmaster upper.

I don't know if my trigger(A Timney) is as loud or hits as hard as the built in model.

Some other material may be better and last longer but for now this fix is fine for me (until
you find something better).

I did not try doing anything to the hammer stop or the shuttle cock and the moleskin
tape is easy to remove or replace and as I said I don't use it for practice just under
hunting conditions.

Keep on experimenting and keep us posted on the results.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Keep on experimenting and keep us posted on the results.

I did some more testing and I embarrassed to say, I wish I had performed the later tests first.

Cutting to the chase, my TAC-15i when fired is measuring 99 decibels at 1 meter, outside. However, I need to find a place where I can safely test the TAC-15 inside to eliminate outside ambient noises. Or perhaps test the TAC-15i in the environment of issue, a quite forest at 1 meter, 32 meters, 64 meters.

For what it is worth I did eliminate the Hammer striking the hammer stop pin from the tests by using 14lb fishing line to pull on the catch that hammer normally would hit.

In future testing I would like to see where most of that 99 decibels is coming from. The limbs, the string, string hitting the stops, etc., and then see if there is way to reduce the noise.

I shoot a Parker Magnum 150#. One of their originals with the Monte Carlo cheek piece thumb-hole Fajgen designed stock left-handed. Had the limbs replaced 2x as there was a laminate issue with them in the beginning, more of a outside layer cosmetic thing. Absolutely the best from a warranty issue 0 cost to me. And they sent the limbs to a local guy first them I took the bow in. Kind of freaky sitting in a stand and having the xbow in front of you hanging and seeing/hearing 'bink' as it popped. Still killed a doe that day.

326fps with carbon arrows and 100gr Grim Reapers. I'd like to get one of the slightly smaller lighter (7.5 vs 9) newer ones but I paid good money for that years ago.

Took a doe and a buck already this year with it in Md. Went to a x-bow due to 4 surgery's. Still outlawed in NY regardless of disabilities! Cannot bow hunt in NY w/one.

Just bought a Parker Cyclone, shoots exellent ! tubed three arrows after sighting it in! I have to go and buy another dozen Red Hot arrows and stick to one arrow per target, this is more expensive to shoot then my rifle. Every time I tube an arrow it's 30 plus bucks! Shot it through the chrony 357fps. w/red hot arrow 100 gr. field tip. Havn't shot any distance yet or broadheads ,I have a torn ACL and need to go under the knife so I'll work on it later. One awesome Xbow glad I bought it. It's deadly at 20 yards ,if the deer isn't dead it was operator error period!

Parker of course....What are you shooting?

Well went ahead and bought the Parker Cyclone last Friday night. Got home in enough time to shoot 4 arrows to zero and verify at 20 yards. Went to a place in Md. where I had never hunted in the morning in a stand put in last year. 8:03 am took a decent little 8 point 27 yrds. Watched him drop within 50 yards just like they say in Grim Reaper commercial.

These Parker X-bows are something else. I thought my old Parker Magnum was accurate and fast (and it is) but these new ones are just unbelievable. Can't beat that lifetime no questions asked guarantee either.

I didn't like the crosshairs in the new Red Hot scope though so I put my old Excalibur Vari-Zone scope on it. I can see the crosshairs easier at critical deer time with this scope. Unfortunately my Vari-Zone only has reference points to 50 yards, the Red Hot has them out 70 yard.

http://www.parkerbows.com/pb/2007/crossbows.html?action=detail&detailsku=1102

Last edited:
Parker Tornado, Red Hot bolts, Trophy Ridge Meat Seeker broadheads. I've thumped a couple of does with it out to about 40 yards so far. Penetration is UNBELIEVABLE, goes thru deer and several inches into the ground. Noisier than conventional bows, but partially make up for that with blistering speed (have'nt had one come close to ducking the string yet).

I now use a PSE TAC 15i for ALL my hunting needs. 100g PHAT HEAD broad heads give me 100yrd groups as accurate as any (free hand) rifle shooting I have experienced. Regarding noise of the hammer strike...it is there but it doesn't deter my use of this quality built cross bow. You can find a fault in anything if that's what you're looking for.lightbulb

I shoot a Horton Vision 175.

It is a great bow, and quiet.
Under 20 inches wide and so well balanced it can almost be shot one handed....almost :)

edge.