Court rules Wyoming wolves off Endangered Species List

Wedgy

Court rules Wyoming wolves be taken off Endangered Species List | FOX31 Denver

Court rules Wyoming wolves be taken off Endangered Species List
POSTED 4:31 PM, MARCH 3, 2017, BY WEB STAFF
FACEBOOK TWITTER GOOGLE LINKEDIN PINTEREST EMAIL
(Photo: ThinkStock)
(Photo: ThinkStock)
MISSOULA, Mont. — On Friday, The Washington DC Court of Appeals issued a ruling in favor of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, State of Wyoming, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation and others regarding the delisting of wolves from the Endangered Species List in Wyoming.

"It's great news. It's especially great news for the state of Wyoming," said David Allen, RMEF president and CEO. "States should have the ability to manage all wildlife within their borders. This is a great day for the fundamental issue of state-based management of wildlife."

Opponents challenged the 2012 FWS determination that wolves are no longer endangered in Wyoming based on three main arguments: insufficient genetic connectivity, wolves have not inhabited a significant portion of their former range, and Wyoming's wolf management plan was not a sufficient "regulatory mechanism" to protect wolves.

A DC Circuit Court of Appeals reversed a District Court ruling that put wolves back on the Endangered Species List.

The Appeals Court ruled that Wyoming's management plan will maintain the minimum number of wolves within the state.

This effectively means that Wyoming wolves should be delisted.

The winter kill is horrendous and the game and fish doesn't have a plan of action.
I guess we will be waiting on our nutless wonders to figure it out.

I'm sure this ruling is one law suit or injunction away from disappearing. The original deal was so many breeding pairs in the Yellowstone ecosystem, *** happened there, now it is their former range?
On the former range, that species of wolf never did reside in WY.
We need to be filing lawsuits too.

Would imagine the governor and WY Atty General are reviewing all of this very closely before any decisions are made with the G&F. More appeals could be forthcoming and if a Court issues a Stay until it goes further up the line, nothing will change. I think a couple bills are pending in Congress to remove the judicial process from wolf management. It'd be nice if they would get something passed and signed into law so we can quit messing with all this legal BS...

I heard on the radio Our wonderful G&F isn't going to set a hunting season for wolves in the near future because the wolves are still endangered. Wyoming has near five hundred wolves (Game and Fish say only 348) and Alaska and Canada have thousands,
endangered my $ss.
Their job should be what's endangered. gun)

I heard on the radio Our wonderful G&F isn't going to set a hunting season for wolves in the near future because the wolves are still endangered. Wyoming has near five hundred wolves (Game and Fish say only 348) and Alaska and Canada have thousands,
endangered my $ss.
Their job should be what's endangered. gun)

Well said, Scratch!

I learned late last night that the Wyoming G&F up in Cody had no idea that the wolves had been delisted in Wyoming until a hunter called and asked about a season. Talk about one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

Also found out if the tree huggers appeal the decision, and we know they will. The appeal has to go in front of the same three Judges that voted 3-0 to return the management back to the state. They have 45 days to do so, April 17, is their deadline.

gun)

Just picked up the current WY Wolf Hunting rules. Trophy in the NW Part of the State, the rest of the state they are treated like Varmints so get after it, no license required. Just have to notify the Fish and Game within 5 days after killing one.

We dont want them in the NE Part of the state so dont pass up a chance if you see any.

I'm afraid LibTard Washington State, with it's ~20 confirmed packs, wreaking havoc on big game and cattle alike, may never take them off the protected list. Oh they shoot a few of a given pack when they kill some cattle. IMHO there's a reason why they were nearly eradicated in the lower 48. Widespread now in eastern WA, need to transplant some to Seattle....

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.