Compact camera recommendation?

MSLRHunter

I'm looking for a nice compact camera to take on hunting trips in my pack. It would be used to take pics of scenery, and of course harvested animals. My wife is into photography and has a big Nikon dslr, it's nice but way too big. What do you guys recommend for a more compact camera? Point and shoot? Mirrorless?

I have been using the Sony a6000 for almost 2 years. I do or have owned many tens of thousands of dollars of pro level photo equipment over the years. I still shoot Nikon in their D7100 model. But -- for outdoor use, especially hunting that camera is just too big.

The Sony a6000 is a mirrorless model. I also have a 18 - 200 mm lens.

The "fun" factor is HUGE with this camera. The quality is great and the low light capability is simply amazing.

My a6000 has hiked or ridden horses with me on about 75 miles of mountainous wilderness so far.

I have been around the sony a7 series for a few years now and they are pretty amazing. With the full frame, what your settings are (iso etc) are what you see in the view finder. The a7r2 also shoots 4k video which is awesome.

Re: Compact camera recommendation? TG-4

The OLYMPUS TG-4 camera is likely THE best point-and-shoot outdoor camera.

1. F-2 lens
2. waterproof to 60 ft. (with audible alarm at 50 ft.)
3. drop "proof" from 7 ft.
4. many, MANY electronic custom composition features
5. video capable (buy a max GB SD card for segregating your videos form your stills)
6. About $400.
7. add-on lens & filter feature (not waterproof for these)

This camera will make your outdoor photos and videos look like a National Geo. photographer shot (most) of them. No exaggeration here.

You must try this camera before buying any other impact "outdoor" camera.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.