Colorado 3rd season unit 44

redandwhite72

This year we have to go 3rd season. We are going to unit 44. Ive been twice and have yet to see any elk. The first trip I went on a guy in the group got a bear and the last trip a couple guys got a pair of smaller 5x5s. Seemed like they were already moved down lower to private land. I've been studying the Colorado hunting atlas. Does anyone know how accurate it is or where they get their information from? Does anyone have any hints or tips they would share to help me get my first elk.

Regarding the hunting atlas, there are a couple herds I'm familiar with and the atlas accurately describes their range. I don't know how they come up with the information or if other areas are accurate.

Elk movement is really dependent on the weather/seasons. Just like you mentioned, it's possible for Elk to be in a totally different spot than where you want to hunt. I don't have a good answer for you other than to try and identify several possible areas to hunt that cover the Elks range of movement. Of course, hunting pressure move the animals around too.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear that the atlas is pretty accurate. Living 13hrs away from where we hunt, having been there twice before and never seeing an elk to shoot, I'm trying to look at all the options before I get there this year.

I hadn't thought of hunting pressure, but that could change their location as much as anything, especially as much pressure and they get 2nd season.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.