Christensen Arms TRAVERSE?

7sand8s

So I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought one. The key factor was how light it is for hunting as compared to my BERGARA both in .300 win mag…..I will say Christensen is a better built gun from factory.
My question is that I have only tried one brand of ammo
….ELDX 200gr Precision Hunter. I did do barrel break in according to Christensen. The thing is I'm skeptical now becuase I didn't study the gun enough to know that it's actually a pencil barrel wrapped with carbon. I have always had good luck with eldx 200 in all of my 300s
. This gun will not get a tighter group than 2" at 200, even then you have to really work to get it to do that. Now I'm just wondering if this gun prefers a lighter or heavier bullet…Christensen does reccomened only match grade ammo out of their barrels…I do have some Berger VLD Hunting I can load. They are I believe 208gr. Any suggestions would help at this point. Im
Just thinking the whole pencil barrel wrapped with carbon isn't the cats meow they say it is. It shoots great 1st shot and only if you let it sit and take another shot does it get within the 2" I spoke of…If I take three consecutive shots it's all over everywhere. As big as 6-7 MOA

Yep. Personally I have found the soft vld bullets finicky. If a gun doesnt like the load sprays them all over. Never saw this with "tougher" bullets I have used them in the past. Sure they may not have great groups but not shotgun patterns. I would try accubond or btip personally

I have owned a Christensen Arms traverse in 300 prc for about 4 years. I tried hornady 212, 220, 225 and 230 atips and couldn't get any of them to shoot under 1 1/2 inch group in my rifle. Once I tried Berger 210 and 215s groups shrank to 1/2 inch. Using H1000 and Reloader 26. You might try some factory Berger ammo if available. Also, I sanded a spot on the inside of the stock that was touching the barrel.

So I got home last night and cleaned gun/barrel again…even let solvent soak for 20min before using brush….once brushed I ran solvent again to clean until patches were clean then ran dry clothes.
Today I tried 178 match ELD…started of great…first two shots were 7"high and two inches left…made adjustment…then was 1" left….made adjustment…the whole time letting barrel cool after each shot as I have always done because IN hunting that first shot is always a cool barrel. Next shot was 1/2" right of bull….let gun cool and sent another…holes touching….then here goes the disaster. Let barrel cool to place a third shot and it's 4 inches low and three inches left, ****ed off I threw another down range and it was 4-6 low and an inch or two right….WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON….this isn't 500yrds. Im
Wondering if scope is not right or tight….it's a Swarovski Z6i 2.5-15x56 held with Nightforce ULTRA LITE rings…Swarovski says not to tourge rings screws over 18" lbs….Nightforce reccomend 23 I believe…I asked my buddy ( he shoots some serious competitions) what should I do and he said set it to 18 and if it's doesn't turn or move your good. It's right now, well I can't turn scope with bare hands. I did take factory rail that comes with traverse off and reset to 23" lbs and use blue loc-tite to keep them there. I'm clueless.

I have owned a Christensen Arms traverse in 300 prc for about 4 years. I tried hornady 212, 220, 225 and 230 atips and couldn't get any of them to shoot under 1 1/2 inch group in my rifle. Once I tried Berger 210 and 215s groups shrank to 1/2 inch. Using H1000 and Reloader 26. You might try some factory Berger ammo if available. Also, I sanded a spot on the inside of the stock that was touching the barrel.
I'm taking it apart today…I'm thinking like you said something is touching something somewhere…I have 500.00 rifles that shoot way better than this.

So I went ahead and bit the bullet and bought one. The key factor was how light it is for hunting as compared to my BERGARA both in .300 win mag…..I will say Christensen is a better built gun from factory.
My question is that I have only tried one brand of ammo
….ELDX 200gr Precision Hunter. I did do barrel break in according to Christensen. The thing is I'm skeptical now becuase I didn't study the gun enough to know that it's actually a pencil barrel wrapped with carbon. I have always had good luck with eldx 200 in all of my 300s
. This gun will not get a tighter group than 2" at 200, even then you have to really work to get it to do that. Now I'm just wondering if this gun prefers a lighter or heavier bullet…Christensen does reccomened only match grade ammo out of their barrels…I do have some Berger VLD Hunting I can load. They are I believe 208gr. Any suggestions would help at this point. Im
Just thinking the whole pencil barrel wrapped with carbon isn't the cats meow they say it is. It shoots great 1st shot and only if you let it sit and take another shot does it get within the 2" I spoke of…If I take three consecutive shots it's all over everywhere. As big as 6-7 MOA
So I have the same issue, what did you end up with that got the group down to 1/2 MOA?

I ended up using 77.5 grains of H1000 with the 210 berger. I switched to the 215 bergers and with reloader 26 was using 74.5 grains . When accuracy fell off I worked up a load again and ended up at 75.5 grains of reloader 26. This rifle has around 600 rounds through it .

How about action bolts? Stock rubbing anywhere?
Maybe try something a little lighter grain bullet like a 180? I spent all summer trying to get Barnes to work in my 300 WSM. It hated the 180s and 168s. Loves the 150s. That's what I settled on. Interestingly enough, that same gun loves Berger 210s.