Changing Direction

As I stated in my first post, one of the main purposes of going to the range and having each hunter check "0" on his rifle is to allow me the opportunity to assess their skill level. I'm no long range guru, but it doesn't take much to determine if a person has actually prepared for their trip by getting in some range time. For the average hunter who wants an enjoyable western hunt, I have been very fortunate to be able to provide that service and send everyone home with some happy memories.

Correct, I am wanting to start concentrating more on the shooting aspect with the hunts I guide. As was suggested above, I can already provide the "Fish In A Barrel" hunt with the chance of a more challenging and rewarding hunt for those who possess the skills to be successful. Putting a person on an antelope is not a problem. As a matter of fact, it's usually fairly easy. Harvesting an above average antelope, on the other hand, usually requires an above average skill set. I would really like to start guiding more hunters who possess those needed skills.

I've got repeat clients who continue to come back, which makes me happy in knowing that I am doing something right. Now I'm just wondering if I would be able to tap into a market for the more experienced shooter who would appreciate a 1:1 hunting experience.

I could definitely do this. For the last several years, I have only allowed a minimal amount of does to be harvested. It has been pretty dry and the antelope herd is still recovering somewhat from drought conditions. Now though, the herd is looking decent and numbers are slowly starting to rebound in my specific area. This can change fairly quick, but I think I could offer hunts with a two animal harvest limit.

For their second animals, would hunters prefer to harvest a doe or a management type buck? This could be a fairly important question during some years, because if the herd numbers start taking a hit due to conditions, I may have to eliminate the doe opportunities in favor of the management bucks.

Kids and the older guys ALWAYS get extra attention. I am a firm believer in helping kids get started down the right path and I will do everything in my power to insure that the youngsters have a positive experience. There has been many times when the kid went home with a better goat than dad. The older guys get the same treatment. We owe a huge debt of gratitude to the generations who came before us and worked hard to afford us the opportunities we now enjoy and I will do whatever I can to make sure those older guys know they are appreciated.

To those who have sent pm's, I haven't forgot about you. The weather turned to crap and I have been busy as heck. I will try and respond to everyone today if possible.

Tex
I have friends just to your North East in Miles City, MT. I know how hard it is on them when the cold sets in especially with heavy snow. It's all day every day just to try and keep hay/feed out and water flowing.

Good luck.

We are out of Gillette, Wyoming.

------------------------
Gentlemen, I greatly appreciate everyone's interest. And for those who have any questions, shoot me a PM. My reasons behind this thread are not to advertise though. I will be more than happy to help anyone with their plans for a Wyoming antelope hunt. If you have questions about a DIY hunt, or if you need to know about something specific in regards to Wyoming antelope hunting, don't hesitate to ask. There is myself, and a few others on here from this area, and we will all be glad to help, if we can.
-------------------------

Back to the original topic :
Besides being able to shoot an additional animal, if you were wanting to go on a guided long range hunt, what would you like to see or have provided?

Would you want the hunt to be fairly technical, with a fairly rough stalk?
Would you prefer being able to shoot from a shooting station?
Would you want there to be wind flags, or would that take away from the 'skills testing' ?
Would you want your guide providing all of the needed information, such as wind and hold, or would you prefer to do that stuff yourself?

I want to hear what everyone thinks.

Thanks,
Tex Adams
The most enjoyable part of an Antelope Hunt for me was always trying to spot and stalk hunt them. We'd usually spot from the truck, make a plan and try to work ourselves around into a position where we could intercept them if moving, move in on if not, and get into a reasonable shooting range.

I think your idea is an excellent one considering the rapidly growing interest in long range shooting and hunting. Several years ago when I decided to go headlong into long range hunting, I hooked up with outfitters in my preferred hunting areas(one which is the foothills of the Bighorns). I consider myself an experienced hunter with a focus on whitetail, mule deer, and antelope, but having acquired an intense job based in the Northeast with limited amounts of time to hunt, my goal was to develop a long term relationship with outfitters that could simplify and accommodate my desire to "naturally" apply long range shooting techniques to hunting. My hunting skills have always been as important as my shooting skills. Initially these outfitters were skeptical about the idea of my shooting game at such long range, but uniquely became intrigued and we're willing to explore it. Demonstrating it could be achieved, we evolved together perfecting the process over the years. They have since not only benefitted from being able to effectively accommodate the needs of the long range hunter, but have personally taken up the LR sport themselves. When I hunt with them we are a team, they understand the topography, game movements and assume the role of spotter when we set up for a shot. We both participate equally in the hunting process which can take on any form of hunt, spot and stalk, stand, etc, or whatever is neccessary to secure the desired animal. Sometimes it's a long range shot, sometimes not. No fabrication. While I have filled doe tags over the years, our central goal is to hunt and apply LR techniques to improve the opportunity to shoot a desireable animal.
I guess my point of all this rambling is that a "capable" long range shooter is probably smart enough to recognize a canned set-up and might even be willing to pay more just to say they shot any animal at long range. But based on observing the reaction of knowegeable long range hunters/shooters to an outfitter that truly understands how long range capabilities can be seamlessly used to shoot a trophy. The outfitter willing to both teach and learn, and positions himself as part of a team with the hunter delivers a unique experience and bond that not only creates very high value, but a long lasting, priceless relationship for many years. Just one mans random thoughts.

I want to thank everyone for their thoughts and suggestions. I'm thinking that my operation will probably stay the same for this upcoming year, but if someone does express an interest in a long range type hunt, I can definitely accommodate them.

I'm no expert, but if I can help in any way give me a shout.
When you have some free time, give me a shout and let's get together. I'd like to show you around the ranch and maybe pick your brain a little bit. You may have some ideas, or see something, that I haven't considered.

Tex,
Would like to hear from you. I have done numerous western guided hunts. My buddies(2) and I are planning a DIY antelope / deer in WY for 2017. This will be our first DIY. We would consider a semi guided hunt or a trespass fee. If you or someone you know can help us please contact me.
I enjoyed the visit the other evening. I put the word out in search of possibilities for a DIY deer hunt on private ground with trespass rights. As of yet, I have nothing to report, but will let you know when I hear something.

I like your idea of offering long range shooter oriented hunts. I would personally prefer to experience somewhat of a stalk rather than to shoot from a shooting station with wind flags. I definetly wouldn't mind having some back up on range estimates and wind calls.
I get what you are saying and appreciate the input. The shooting stations I mentioned would be along the lines of a blind of some sort, like people use for hunting deer in other parts of the country. Antelope have excellent eyesight, and unless a person is in really good shape and can hunker down and crawl, a stalk can be very hard to do in some instances. It isn't impossible though. I just want to make sure I am able to offer a hunter some different choices.

As far as the windage flags go, I may go ahead and sink some t-posts around the ranch in different spots with surveyors tape tied to them before season. I have seen times when there are up to seven different wind currents between a shooter and the target. Even if you know what the wind is doing at the end of your rifle, things could be completely different a few yards out. And eventhough a person may be able to get a good read on the wind currents, it will still take some skill to best utilize that information and make a good shot.

Tex, you could do some of both. One good way to go about it would be to see if you can set up a deal with Len to do a "LRH Group Hunt" and do it on a semi guided basis where once you are confident in the competence of the guns you can turn some of them loose on specific tracts of land and say, "Here's your pasture, have fun".

Many of the posters here are successful and experienced Antelope Hunters so they would not need as much personal handling as those new to it.
I would enjoy being able to do something along these lines, but unfortunately, the way our place is set up with pasture layout, it would make it somewhat difficult. It wouldn't be impossible, but hunts seem to go better when I am dealing with smaller groups of no more than three hunters. We will often need to lay off one area, so the antelope can calm down.

The most enjoyable part of an Antelope Hunt for me was always trying to spot and stalk hunt them. We'd usually spot from the truck, make a plan and try to work ourselves around into a position where we could intercept them if moving, move in on if not, and get into a reasonable shooting range.
That is the method we use most. The antelope are used to seeing oilfield traffic and don't get too upset until a vehicle stops and the people act as if they are paying too much attention to the game. I will usually drive while the hunters are looking for a good shooter. If they see one, I will continue on out of sight and then we'll make a plan to get within range.

I guess my point of all this rambling is that a "capable" long range shooter is probably smart enough to recognize a canned set-up and might even be willing to pay more just to say they shot any animal at long range. But based on observing the reaction of knowegeable long range hunters/shooters to an outfitter that truly understands how long range capabilities can be seamlessly used to shoot a trophy. The outfitter willing to both teach and learn, and positions himself as part of a team with the hunter delivers a unique experience and bond that not only creates very high value, but a long lasting, priceless relationship for many years. Just one mans random thoughts.

That is exactly what I will be shooting for. Hunting antelope can be fairly easy at times, but that in no way means it is a canned hunt. Shooting an antelope is not hard at all. Getting within shooting distance of a true trophy though, is rarely easy. To get that good animal with an ethical and reasonable long distance shot takes quite a bit of planning and work and it is most definitely a team effort. Alot goes into making a hunt like this successful, eventhough there seems to be antelope everywhere you look.

I am glad I asked my questions here, because I am getting some good feedback and alot of good ideas and points I need to consider.

Thanks,
Tex

Hi Tex,

I've done a wide range of guided, DIY, private land and public land hunts for elk, mule deer and antelope the last four years. Some of the guides and facilities were world class and at least one was quite disappointing. Most have been excellent hunts and experiences.

This was my first season with a primary focus aspiring to shoot at longer distances. I had five tags altogether. I made sure during my first call with the outfitters/guides that they knew my focus was making challenging shots in the reasonable conditions and that I know and would honor my limits. For the most part that worked out really well for me and them and all the outfitters CLAIMED to have LRH experience and encouraged it when appropriate.

For Wyoming I booked a two trophy antelope hunt with a very large outfitter operation on his private land leases and the owner was very responsive to my LRH interests. The reality was that the "experienced" guide I was assigned to had no idea or familiarity with anything long range or with modern equipment used by today's hunters, much less hunters aspiring to shoot long range. It was as if he started guiding 20 years ago and had hunted in a bubble, completely disconnected from the sport/industry. Basically he just wanted to road hunt which has it's time and place but my hunt wasn't it. I killed one nice antelope buck the first day and decided to change guides the next day to hunt with the guide my friends had. What a difference an enthusiastic and knowledgeable long range friendly guide makes. My second antelope wasn't a big trophy but it sure was a great challenge and exactly what I was looking for.

The point of my story is that if I'm requesting and emphasizing my aspirations to take an animal at longer ranges to the outfitter and guide, I expected my guide to at least be somewhat up to date, knowledgeable and enthusiastic about it. That was after all what I was paying for.

I'm not a super wealthy guy, but I do spend a considerable amount on some of my hunts; as much as $12k for a private ranch elk during the rut. That's a lot of loot in my world but I value the access, quality guiding, meat, quality animals and overall experience enough to make it happen. The two antelope hunt above was around $4000 or so and probably the worse money I've ever spent on a hunt.

To answer your question about a "Shooting station", that would not be of interest to me. I've worked my butt off studying, practicing, refining loads, working out 3x a week for improved fitness, taking LR classes and doing everything I can to become competent; that includes a lot of positional practice to be able to shoot well from whatever terrain and situation that presents itself. That's part of the challenge and experience I WANT TO HAVE and what I'm willing to pay for.

That's my story, experience and point of view as it relates to what I think were some of your questions.

Let me know if you have any questions or need clarification.

Best of luck!

~Robert

Thanks, Robert. That is exactly the kind of feedback I was wanting. It is very important to me as a guide, that I am able to provide the type of experience people expect.

Tex

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.