Changes to the Great American Outdoor Show

billm67

I put this in the Northeast section because I am not sure where else to put it...I am from the Harrisburg area and grew up going to the Sports and Outdoors Show. I as a kid I always looked forward to see the motorcycles and snowmobiles and boats. In the last few years of the show...I felt like the show had primarly become a venue for guide services to market their services and book hunts. I had stopped going to the shows because being someone who loves the shooting sports...I simply cannot invest the time or resources to a full blown hunting trip.

There was a big to do with the promoters and the NRA has taken over producing the show...Don't really want to get into that because that is not my purpose in posting this thread. I did look at the show and noticed that the main exhibition hall map is now primarily firearms manufacturers. I looked at the list and now I am suddenly interested in going. It seems that the shooting sports and their suppliers are now much more represented in this show.

Can anyone who may have attended last year verify this is the case? Or am I just being overly optimistic???

I've been attending the show since the late 1980's as an exhibitor. Over the years there has been many changes, some for the good, and some for the bad. The main hall has historically been reserved for outfitters to set up shop, and sell their services. I've been booking hunts at that show, and many other shows throughout the country, and have been quite successful doing it. What I have seen in the business over the last few years is the dwindling bookings from the show crowd, and the increase in business from internet sales. Typical of just about every other market out there whether it's selling hunts or selling clothing....
I think what you are seeing is the small mom and pop outfits not willing to spend thousands of dollars in room fees, food, travel and such, when they can book those hunts online... Those empty booths are being filled by more manufacturers.. and that's not a bad thing.....

For those attending this year, I will be hanging out in the main hall, booth 4918, Bullseye Outfitters. I can have product available for inspection, but you will need to contact me before hand as I will not be there every day.

Going on Thursday. Booked two trips at past shows. While the internet is a great place to book a trip, it is very important to talk face-to-face to an outfitter. Interpersonal interaction is important.

Good luck

Jerry

a little late in seeing this
but yes the show this yr was a lot more gun friendly, a ton of OEM's gun makers and a whole hall set aside for gun stuff, so anyone NOT wanting to see it, can stay away

the sad part to me about shows like this is the crowds
it still amazes me how so many people have such a lack of consideration of others
I mean folks stop and stare standing 3 wide to oogle at things and NOT care there are others behind them TRYING to get thru to a different place
I mean YES its a SHOW, if you want to stop and LOOK at things, be polite,
MOVE OFF TO THE SIDE< there is NO need to block the whole walk way due to you want to stop and NOT care , as if your the ONLY important person in the world!!

that or folks that walk SO slow and again have to walk side by side and BLOCK a whole row
just inconsiderate of others

I was at the show for about 1 hr and , had my fill of morons, that cannot look and walk or care about others

Sorry about the grip
But after 30 yrs or so of going to this show, I have seen it grow and grow
and also seen the way people treat others has also changed!!

YES show is WAY more gun oriented as well, as the tons of outfitters and calls and boats and atv's and ONLY seen ONE snowmobile this yr there(also in gun hall)

Doubt I will be back next yr
for anyone that's NEVER been there or hasn't in a while, its WORTH the hassle
can make a full day of walking up and down the rows for sure!

I agree with you about people being inconsiderate...but that not unique to this show, that is people in general. Being that I am 6'3" and I'm a big boy I usually get right up behind people who are being inconsiderate in that manner and say excuse me. When they turn around and all they see is my shoulder...they get the message! My gripe is the parking. I went through all of the lots on Friday when I went over to the show and every one was full. The organizers have done a great job of getting people to come to the show...but they need to have places to park and transportation back and forth.

But overall it was a good show. Lots of great vendors that were friendly. Lots of things to see and had I stayed longer I would have gone to see more of the shows. There is only so much you can do in an afternoon. I'll go back as I think the show is headed in a positive direction.

I got lucky I went first Monday of the show, and got a parking spot about 100 ft from the gun hall entrance door LOL

was actually a bunch close to the door, seemed NO one thought there would be any and was all parking way in the back rows or taking shuttle bus's

and YES I fully agree, its NOT just at the show with people and lack of consideration of others, its a across the world anymore it seem

difference in HOW folks are raised I think

I know for a fact when I was growing up, I never got away with what I see kids today doing.
I also know for a fact things PEOPLE cannot seem to wait to share and put on social media site, I would have been embarrassed and NEVER wanted to be see
SHAME< and embarrassment, seem to be lacking in folks today
lack of respect for themselves, so HOW can they have any for others!!
seems like folks today,are
trying to be famous for doing NOTHING or dumb Crap
rather than just being happy getting along with one another and NOT needing some sort of immediate rewards(fame) for doing NOTHING

everyone isn't super special folks
I wish we would get back to just rewarding those that excel and not these made up rewards for everyone for participating and like , creating a screwed up society, where everyone feel entitled to things if you ask me!!

BUT back to the show
Yes its worth going to , all the more so to anyone that has never been there before, its worth a LONG drive for sure
but expect to NEED to spend a FULL day there to see it all, its HUGE, like miles of walking and NOT lying about the distance, literally miles of rows of stuff!

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.