Central Montana Antelope Hunting?

Big Friend Ten

Hi Guys (and Gals it any),

Does anyone have any experience hunting antelope in central Montana? Specifically, the area between Billings and Helena. I believe this is referred to as "Yellowstone Country".

If you've been there and done that please share your experience and would you do it again?

Thanks to all in advance,
Mark

Any particular reason for that part? My experience has been areas north, east and south of Billings are all good places to look. West of Billings may also be good, I just haven't hunted antelope there.

I wouldn't bother hunting west of Billings. We had a blue tongue outbreak a few years ago, and reduced the populations such that FWP cut tags in those areas in half. I would contact FWP and ask what areas have not been affected, or what areas have come back from an attack. Also, I heartilly recommend buying decoys. Cabelas has a male/female pair that goes ffor about 125. I used them for the first time last year, and bought another set after the season.

Thanks guys!

I asked about this area because I was offered the opportunity to hunt there by a member of a local ranching family.

Sorry, I thought you were going into this area cold. We used to hunt north of Ryegate. When there was a normal population, my wife, daughter and I could limit out before noon on opening day. We knew where the antelope went for safety, and we would walk in about a mile and sit and wait. Eventually, the road hunters would push them back to one of us, and there'd be one tag filled, two more to go.
As long as the rancher can put you in a place like that, you'll be in good shape. Spot and stalk can work too, but you have to be accurate to 400 yds or more.
Where is the ranch located?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.