Cast iron Cookware??

Ditto on Griswold. I have a few around 90-100 years old and they still cook fantastic. The sizes I have are 8, 9, and 14. 8 and 9 are around a standard skillet size. The 14 is huge, about the size of a large pizza. As a matter of fact, the gentleman I bought that one from used it in pizza competitions.

They are antiques and as such are not cheap, but will last you a lifetime and more. You can find them on fleebay and around the internet other sales sites. I bought the 14 locally off craigslist.

You are the one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 Ever time I see a cool listing on the list............its already sold...........Nice snag on the 14 !!!!!!!!!!!

I use cast iron in the kitchen at home and on the camp fire . There are lots of good ones out there , I have lodge , Swiss and griswald . Other than price they all cook the same as long as you season then properly and NEVER put them in the dishwasher , most of the time just wipe them out with a paper towel or mild soap and water but don't scrub them with steel wool . Then put them on the heat and cook out all the moisture then spray with pan spray or wipe with cooking oil and let cool. My grandmother put them into the wood stove over night about every other year and reseasoned them and they were good as new . They will last you and your kids the rest of your/there lives. lightbulb

I will be camping, in a tent, and trout fishing on Tellico river in early May. Bring it and we will season it up proper...........

I know this is a old tread but I have a few tips for cast iron pans and pots.I have bought most of mine in flea markets. I have a few new ones also.as some have said the new ones are not smooth on the inside like the old ones. Here's the trick , sand the bottoms smooth with a power sander. After you get them smooth wipe it down with olive or flauxseed oil and place in a oven set on high for about 45-60 minutes. It should have a hard black coating on it when done . Never use soap on cast iron. Remove cooked food as soon as it's done and put warm water in the pan while still hot. Let it sit a minute or 2 and then wipe clean with a soft cloth. Dry on stove with low heat and that's it.

Okie ,

I add one more step to cleaning ... when the water has been evaporated and the pan is hot ....I wipe the inside down with a gob if crisco on a paper towel... It melts , smoke a lil ...then I set pan to cool... once cool wipe off any excess oil and the put it away...

I have quite a bit. As mentioned above, try to find Griswold. But it does become almost an addiction.

I also have new Lodge. Lodge makes a quality product. I use two of their square skillets to make cornbread for a local fundraiser.

I have been using a cast iron frypan (skillet) for over 390 years, still as good as the day I bought it from a disposals store. The trick is to find one with a machined (smooth) inside surface, season it with oil and to fire dry it after washing. Hope this helps Cheers Wiz

I have been using a cast iron frypan (skillet) for over 30 years, still as good as the day I bought it from a disposals store. The trick is to find one with a machined (smooth) inside surface, season it with oil and to fire dry it after washing. Hope this helps Cheers Wiz

if you want the best, an old one that was and still is top of the line is Griswold, then a modern one thats enamel coated is la creusette. The old ones were forged and then milled and ground to shape, where the cheap ones are replicas made from molds of the good iron, its all in the mettalurgy and looks can be decieving. the thing about good cast iron is its light, it transmits heat evenly and it holds a nice season layer. it shouldnt break your wrist to hold a nice cast iton skillet, but im just a snob about cookware, the cheap stuff works well

^agreed! My wife bought a spendy set of stainless steel cookware. Have had nothing but trouble with it after the first couple uses. Last night I made Caribou Osso Bucco in my cast iron dutch oven and had zero sticking issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.