Cast iron Cookware??

Lodge is made in USA, and has been for a long time. Buy it once and your g-ggrandchildern will still be using it, buy American, we in the USA need to keep our money and job here. Lodge is the best regardless as to where it is made, but luckily it is made here!

Griswold is the very best, Wagner is probably 2nd and then Lodge. K-Mart, did carry Wagner until they put Martha Stewart's Brand in. Would settle for any of these 3.

I have one that my Grand parents had, it has to be at least 125 years old my great grand parent brought it to the states from Belgium.
There are no names it's about 20 inches round and 4 inches deep. Its great for deep frying fish.
I found if you plan to season the pan use lard and let it get hot for a long time.

Cast cook ware is what I look for when my wife drags me into an antique shop or flea market. I have scored a few very nice pans in the $20 range. I find the Grizwalds and Wagners to be of the best. A good cleaning and an easily done reseasoning makes even a rusty pan look like new. I like saved bacon grease for doing the seasoning.

Jeff

Jeff....

What is the titaninum thing all about??

Inquiring minds want to know

LOL,well that was a while back but Gamedog, I and another friend were camped out shooting long range Prairie dogs. We forgot a pan so I cooked breakfast up in a titanium mess kit bowl. If you have never tried to scramble eggs in bacon grease in a paper thin titanium pan it is a task. Its all or nothing for heat. Lets just say it was not the best breakfast w had ever eaten.:D

Jeff

+1 on buying US made cast iron. Years ago when i was a we little lad parents bought some cast iron pans and they seasoned them and made some Beans in them and to this day If i think about it I can still taste the metal. it was the worse thing I have tasted and will never buy cast made from china. or from any other source other then good USA

I use cast for just about every thing, cept boiling water and baking. Season it with and only use olive oil to store it, never touch it with soap for the first year, get a pumice brick.
Currently I have 2-12" 1-10"' 1-8", 1-6"' 1-4" skillets, a dutch oven, and 2 little 5" shallow skillets (kid got em for xmas one year with a pancake kit). when you get a good seasoned pan (takes time) their just about indestructable.

Forgot to mention the 2-1/4" thick diamond plate griddles i made before i got out of welding, heavy as all get out but oh boy nothin sticks to those things!

I like cast iron cooking also.

I would like to hear helpful steps to follow in seasoning a brand new cast iron cookware and helpful tips for reseasoning recently used cast iron cookware.

If you have a great dutch oven recipie I will try it:D

thanks
to all very helpful advice

New cast seems to have coarser grain than ...old.....i do have a Griswold but I dont see packing a Do worth several hundred dollars to the woods. I have some cheap that has worked but most of my kit is LODGE.

LODGE IS GOOD STUFF.

For my friend with the Teflon prefference.......teflon man made coating long lasting effects of exposure are yet unknown ( lil paranoid?? asaphene, asbestos, phenenol, and for those old enough Ford Pinto's)

Cast is non stick by virtue of seasoning which is a creative way of saying the pores are so filled with carbon that it has a slick finish. If you look at seasoning like finishing a piece of furniture....Start with clean open pores in the surface apply the finish in layers. The carbon finish is achieved but by coating it with oil getting hot letting it cool and repeat. Repeat until you are too old to use it. a good fire on a summer night and a can of veg shortening is a good way to get a new pan seasoned. Coat inside and out use your welding gloves .....set her in get her smoking set aside let cool....Next morning wipe all the smoke off wipe down with oil and put away till time to cook.

Enjoy.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.