Carbonsix Barrels

Badgerclaw

Hey everyone, so I ordered a barrel from Carbonsix because I've been looking at proof barrels for awhile but cant afford $900 for just a barrel blank. Carbonsix offers rem-age barrels for a few hundred bucks cheaper... couldn't pass up that deal. My barrel isnt here yet so I've just been drooling over the pictures on thier website. However, I cant find a single review from onyone besides the pictures on thier website and facebook page. Does anyone on here own one? Or know someone who does? Just wanting to know what to expect when it arrives. Thanks in advance

I have one in 338 Rum. I ordered this barrel on April 3, 2017, and didn't receive it until sometime in late August. When I ordered it I called and talked to Gene Gordon. He was very nice and was able to accommodate all of my requests. He stated that I should have the barrel in 6-8 weeks. After that time period I started emailing him, he always said we are working on it, and you will have it in a couple weeks. This kind of ****ed me off. If he would have just told me that I wouldn't have it until August it would have been way better. The barrel I ordered is a Remington sender contour in a 1-10" twist as they didn't offer a 1-9". I wanted to shoot the 300 grain Berger,I have shot this bullet out of other 1-10" barrels just fine so I didn't think I would have an issue. When I got the rifle together I started working on loads. It shot the 300 horrible, like 3" at 100 yards. Next I tried the 285 hornady, guess what still horrible. By this time I was really ****ed. My bother and I both figured the twist was too slow, so we measured it. Sure enough it is about 1-11.25". Then I tried some 250 grain bergers, the first 3 shot group was 1/2". I had an early season elk hunt planned on the 15th of September so I just figured I had to live with it. Having said that, the fit and finish of the barrel is amazing. It is every bit as good looking as a proof. I wouldn't hesitate to order another barrel from them. I would just tell Gene when you order it to not lie about the delivery date.

I have one in 338 Rum. I ordered this barrel on April 3, 2017, and didn't receive it until sometime in late August. When I ordered it I called and talked to Gene Gordon. He was very nice and was able to accommodate all of my requests. He stated that I should have the barrel in 6-8 weeks. After that time period I started emailing him, he always said we are working on it, and you will have it in a couple weeks. This kind of ****ed me off. If he would have just told me that I wouldn't have it until August it would have been way better. The barrel I ordered is a Remington sender contour in a 1-10" twist as they didn't offer a 1-9". I wanted to shoot the 300 grain Berger,I have shot this bullet out of other 1-10" barrels just fine so I didn't think I would have an issue. When I got the rifle together I started working on loads. It shot the 300 horrible, like 3" at 100 yards. Next I tried the 285 hornady, guess what still horrible. By this time I was really ****ed. My bother and I both figured the twist was too slow, so we measured it. Sure enough it is about 1-11.25". Then I tried some 250 grain bergers, the first 3 shot group was 1/2". I had an early season elk hunt planned on the 15th of September so I just figured I had to live with it. Having said that, the fit and finish of the barrel is amazing. It is every bit as good looking as a proof. I wouldn't hesitate to order another barrel from them. I would just tell Gene when you order it to not lie about the delivery date.

Thank you for the feedback! Sucks to hear that they messed up your order and kept lying about the delivery timeframe. I have been there before, and it really sucks. Did you contact them about the wrong twist? Did they offer to make it right?

Yes they have been informed. No they didn't offer to do anything. I never have really pushed it though. It shoots the 250 extremely well. They get their steel blanks from McGowan barrels. Oddly enough I have a 26 nosler in a 1-8" McGowan that will not shoot the longer high bc bullets either. I have never measured the twist in it but I'm sure it isn't 1-8".

Ya I agree, but really the 250 Berger at 3000 is plenty of bullet for hunting. I have another 338 that will shoot the 300 for really long shooting. Now they offer a 9 twist 338 cal barrel so make sure and get that if you want to shoot the heavies.

I realized I never got back on here to give an update. Got the first barrel after 14-16 weeks. The threads were rough and there was a weird ring in the throat. Once the barrel was tightened to the action it was crooked. I have a trued action so I knew that wasn't the problem. The contour was also very weird. It had an hour glass shape. It gradually got smaller, than a few thousandths thicker, than a quick taper down to the muzzle.

Took pictures, sent them to carbonsix. They were very helpfull and promised me they would replace the barrel quickly.

8 weeks later after missing hunting season.... I received a barrel that looked awesome! Clean cut threads, a straight taper, and good chamber. Then I looked down the barrel.... I could see that the bore had a constant curve from chamber to muzzle. I shot it, and was able to get a 3/4 moa group, but it drove me nuts thinking about how crooked the bore was. I SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO SEE A CURVE IN THE BORE WITH MY NAKED EYE!!! I've sense removed the barrel, bought spiral fluted steel blanks (only a few ounces heavier than my carbon barrel) and chambered them myself with a buddies lathe. I no longer have the desire to own a Carbon barrel. If I go carbon in the future, it will be a proof or christensen, although I have seen crooked christensen barrels.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.