Carbon Handguard

lovec_1

Guys, your help will be very appreciated.

I've bought few days ago my first AR-15 clone. Nothing special or unique, just simple Smith&Wesson M&P-15 I. It has 17" barrel with 9" twist, A2 stock and carbine length GI handguard. See the picture below. There is no major tuning planned in my mind, I just want another handguard. After searching the web I found the Lancer Systems carbon handguards. But. They don't ship to Europe. And they will not answer emails, except those which has coherence with placed orders... I've checked their distributors for Europe, no one of them offers the Lancer's handguards, everybody sells only the magazines (I already bought some 20 and 30 rds.).
Similar situation with Lancer's US distributors, they make mostly wholesale and also don't ship to Europe.
I am a bit sad. I want only simple carbon handguard with carbine length, no rails, no gadgets.
Maybe you know some "normal" shop or store which sells Lancer's carbon hanguards?

Yep

Never paid it much attention but most.gun stuff has restrictions on international sales. You are going to have to find a european seller.

Now you do realize to install that handguard you will have to remove the barrel device, ths front sight and gas block and the barrel nut.

Removing that pinned A2 front sight can be a real pain in the ***, if you don't have the proper tools and knowledge. And rcoody is right, you will have to remove the A2 birdcage, A2 front sight post, gas tube, handguards, metal handguard retaining ring, barrel nut, and delta ring assembly.

The above underlined items are items that will be discarded in your install of the new handguard, and will not be reused.

Then, re-torque and properly clock the new proprietary Lantac barrel nut. Then add a new low-pro gas block and new gas tube roll pin (you should be able to use the original gas tube), then reinstall the A2 birdcage muzzle device (or a new muzzle device of your choice, a BattleComp is a good one), and then install your new handguard.

I am already in contact with european distribution but the guys are little bit slow... Will see later.

My plane is to install only short 7" handguard. Everything will stay on it's place, no need to cut anything :)
Inbetween I've bought a kit of necessary tools, so I am more or less prepared :cool:
Also no need for any kind of muzzle break or compensator, 223R has virtually no recoil for me gun)
If I will buy something, will show you few pics later.
Thx.

That pinned A2 front sight post will still need to be professionally removed and reinstalled, regardless. If this is your first experience with the AR platform, I would not recommend attempting this feat on your own. Factory pinned gas blocks can sometimes be VERY stubborn to remove the pins. You might even have to use a cutoff wheel and cut the front sight post off, then replace it with a low profile gas block that uses a set-screw design.

MudRunner - thx for the advice.

Buttermilk - no chance, I would better sell the rifle than use such a monstrous quad-rail.

I am looking for this one, click on the preview for bigger pics:

Also, I will say this, I have one M6 with a carbine-length quadrail (7"), and the rest of mine use 15" keymod handguards. I recommend using a low-profile gas block and running at least a 12" handguard. Over time you will start to notice the lack of hand-room you have with the short carbine-length handguards, and the longer you use it, the more obvious is becomes. I would recommend looking at the 12"-15" handguards, and running a low-profile gas block.

Here is a great handguard that is very very similar to the ones I run. I also buy almost all my parts from this company. Not sure if they ship overseas, but maybe you can find someone who sells the Seekins Precision MCSR V2 Keymod handguards where you live, or can ship one to you. Installation is tricky since this uses a shim-system and a proprietary barrel nut. You will need a Wheeler barrel nut wrench to install this handguard, but once you get it installed, you will notice how strong and rigid it is. It's a very good handguard.

https://www.rainierarms.com/seekins-precision-mcsr-v2-key-mod-rail-system

Guys, your help will be very appreciated.

I've bought few days ago my first AR-15 clone. Nothing special or unique, just simple Smith&Wesson M&P-15 I. It has 17" barrel with 9" twist, A2 stock and carbine length GI handguard. See the picture below. There is no major tuning planned in my mind, I just want another handguard. After searching the web I found the Lancer Systems carbon handguards. But. They don't ship to Europe. And they will not answer emails, except those which has coherence with placed orders... I've checked their distributors for Europe, no one of them offers the Lancer's handguards, everybody sells only the magazines (I already bought some 20 and 30 rds.).
Similar situation with Lancer's US distributors, they make mostly wholesale and also don't ship to Europe.
I am a bit sad. I want only simple carbon handguard with carbine length, no rails, no gadgets.
Maybe you know some "normal" shop or store which sells Lancer's carbon hanguards?

I make my own from carbon fiber tube from Dragon Plate (dragonplate.com) I buy a 24" long pipe, use what I want for the guard and use some of the rest for reinforcement for sling studs/ bipod adapter . I like low pro adjustable gas blocks, measure your barrel nut and order that Inside Diameter tube. I use Devcon 10110 to secure it to the barrel nut but I suppose you could use screws or fasteners. I like it clean and smooth without fasteners.

Attachments

• 20170106_140711.jpg
    20170106_140711.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 134
Here's some comparison pictures of different length guards on different length barrels.

6.5 Grendel with a 15" handdguard on a 24" barrel...

BF2AE43D-9D19-497E-BFC0-54890EBF2DDD_zpsntonx1mj.jpg

15" handguard on a 14.5" barrel...

7065BDBF-4215-4A33-9B15-B7A327EC7D5D_zpsgqg1ekmy.jpg

15" handguard on a 16" barrel...

86834607-16AD-4E77-A4E3-C9BF80862773_zpsr1yxb4wm.jpg

15" handguard on a 16" barrel vs. carbine-length quadrail on a 16" barrel...

BF33AC14-8C2B-4751-8F59-A104CCC9E851_zpsj1hfcgvf.jpg

Midway usa sells them. They may export it for you. Brownells also sells some carbon fiber handgaurds. At least either one of them will answer the phone or email. Also the lancer handgaurds I habe order from lancer's site have both come from a company called atlantic tactical. Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.