Can turkeys smell?

clark270

One time I believe two toms smelled me because I ran out after work and slapped on some good smelling deodorant to hide my sweaty body odor. The birds came in downwind I was in a tent blind that was there for months. I wasn't calling or moving around, but the birds acted strange and did a big 60yd. circle around me. No decoys where out. Turkey vultures have a great scents of smell so what about other birds? I had a flock of poults and hens peck my boot laces while gun hunting with blaze orange on and they weren't bothered. But the fawn that decided to bed next to me finally smelled me after 15 minutes when the wind shifted towards her. Some things I wish I could get on camera. I couldn't I couldn't move.

Heck yeah, turkeys can smell...Haven't you ever dunked one in hot water to pluck off the feathers? Whoowee, can they smell!.....:D

Packrat

Thank the Lord not very well we would never be able to shoot one. Between the ears that can hear a duck fart at 200 yard and eyes that can see your eye ball at a hundred yards they have enough defenses.

Shoot straight especially at boss gobblers

Bob

I pluck them dry takes about 45 min. wing feathers are a pain. Keeps the meat from drying out and I use cooking bags which also helps with that. The only smell I noticed was when I gut it.

if you hang them for more than two weeks yes they smell.

seriously, I work with birds for a living. Their sense of smell maybe more than yours but not much. Turkey vultures are a different matter all together.

when the smells of the field are normal, you can probably someone's deodorant or perfume from 100 yards. Nothing special other than paying attention to that input.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.