Calling Wolves?

MtPockets

Anybody have any success calling wolves?

Wanna share any details?

Also, what's the best way to locate them? I'm guessing they're not generally going to hang out close to roads and such- what's the best way to get close?

Yeah, use a cow or calf elk call this seems to work well in the Idaho panhandle's remote areas.

lv2hunt

One of the things I'm gonna try is a Foxpro w/baying hounds. This would be in areas known to have woofs pass thru.

I've tried taking the little gizmo use to open pop cans, bend it in the middle 90 degrees then pressing to one's lower lip and hollering "Here woof, Here woof" repeated numerous times. So far . . . nothing.. :rolleyes:

The best answer to both questions is to go hunting. I called a wolf in while trying to call a black bear. In order to get close to them you have to find them. I have seen 4 wolves paralleling forest roads. They will hang around elk. Kind of a tough critter to hunt but any day in the outdoors beats the hell out of a day on the sofa!
Good luck & keep us posted,
Thanks Kirk

Hi MtPockets..I have called them in lots ..I don't shoot much ..but calling is the way to get them in real close ..I will use a howl to locate or Elk distress call to finish the dance . also Moose calling will bring them in too but distress calling is fatal. if you can find fresh tracks they will come in quick but remember Cougars/Grizz/Black Bear will come too so be aware at all times..

on this site I did a couple of posts called Canus Lupus where I called in 3 wolves in twice in 6 days and got 2 out of 3 both times ..its a rush to have trotting/loping Wolves coming right at you less than 35 yards.. lots of times I have just called them in and counted a coup

if you need more info just ask

my truck and trailer/tent ..called just howled night before ..next morning I was on lake fishing ..then I called it to waters edge

David:)

094_zpsc13b146a.jpg

079_zps03ca64c9.jpg

075_zpsb747bfd6.jpg

096_zpsa7247d1f.jpg

Anybody have any success calling wolves?

Wanna share any details?

Also, what's the best way to locate them? I'm guessing they're not generally going to hang out close to roads and such- what's the best way to get close?

Thanks, Speckle!
That's all very good information, and some really cool pics!

One of these days I'm going to get out and try my hand at this game. Had some serious family stuff going on, so haven't been able to yet, but hopefully soon...

I'll let you know how it turns out!

gun)

Yup, a good run of good distress calls with some coyote howls. If.you can do good on both you can get.The wolves so mad they won't be.thinking as clearly. Give you more time to kill more of them. But, you need to be in an area where wolves are. That is possibly the biggest challenge.

I do as others have mentioned as well. I howl to locate or look for fresh tracks. If it is early season I howl to locate. I use deer and elk distress calls. I have had no real good luck with coyote howls to bring wolves though. I did a podcast with outdoors international if you want to listen to it. Killed 2 with my bow and 3 rifle.

Good luck.

This is a young one I shot this year.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    457.8 KB · Views: 169
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts