Calibre long range large game superior ballistic coeficient/performanc

superlite17

Hello all, with a lot of help from all here, I believe I have the most excellent varmint gun made /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I am so happy with that rig that I am now selling my 7mm on gunbroker and I am going to start from the ground up with my large game rig. Since so many of you (most/all)are so much more knowledgeable about bullet flight than I am, i thought i would get your input on the calibre. I am not really sold on any, and would like to go at this with a more scientific approach than opinionated. What bullet statistically, all things equal, due to it's shape alone, will 9 times out of ten travel through air to a given point more accurately than others. I have heard the.300, but I know most marksmen swear by 6mm, I do not know. But 6mm might be a little small, again i do not know, never even held one. Can you all shed some insight on this for me?

I have .270, 300, 7mm,30-06, collected and like them all, but i only hunt one gun from white tail to bear. I want knock down and power to get out to 500+ yards and still drop an animal.

Would you all pass some of your wisdom on to me?

Thank You - Rod

I don't claim to be one of the experts on this site, but here is my 2 cents. The .308 has an excellent selection of bullets to use if you load yourself. The 6 mm is a little more limited. a 30 cal mag will have much much more recoil than the 6 mm class and will make it a little harder to shoot. But I prefer 30 cal even though a big 6 or 6.5 will have enough power to kill a deer out to 500 yards.

Superlite 17

If you are talking large size (not typical East Coast 125-150lb) deer and large black bear, then you want a 30 caliber minimum and preferably a magnum or maybe 7mm WSM. NC coastal Black bears are going up to 800 lbs with at least 10 over 500 lbs each year.

A 6mm is definitely and the 6.5 is just too iffy for anything less than perfect shot.

both the 6,6.5 and 30 will shoot much better than we can hold them normally. The key is wind drift and KE (kinetic energy) for knockdown on the other end. Highest BC bullets for the 6 will be in the low .5 range, the 6.5 in the low .6 with the 30 cals being in the low to mid .6 range.

IMO the 300 WSM is just about perfect for what you want. You can go from the 165-200 gr bullets with both quality factory premium loads and reloads. It has flat trajectory, relatively easily handled recoil with a decent stock, high quality factory loads etc. For some reason the 300 WSMs are running double or longer barrel life than comparable other magnums in the LR BR game.

Short action gun, 26" #4 or larger barrel and quality scope it can weigh as little as 7 lbs to in the low teens.

Stiller predator or Lawton action $750

used Rem bottom metal $50

used Rem tuned trigger $75

Wyatts extended mag box $50

custom barrel chambered/installed $500

Stock $200-500 depending on preference (HS Precision, Brown Precision, Manners etc)

Pillar Bedded $150

Misc gunsmithing $200 (no more than if that)

Rings bases $75-200

Used Swarovski/Kahles with TDS reticle $450-850 (add up to $400 more for new)

Bottom line, gun and scope for under $2000 to max $3000 if you want a custom. If factory, then look at the Savage 12 with heavy barrel in the 300 WSM this year and cost will That gives you the typical SC "beanfield" rifle, which is what it sounds lik you are looking for.

Now if you want to reload, look at the 7 WSM, BC is in the mid to high .6s but you will need a custom barrel in a 1-9 twist. However at 500 yards or so, we are only talking a couple inches between the 7 and 300 WSM. My vote is the 300 WSM.

BH

Re: Calibre long range large game superior ballistic coeficient/perfor

[ QUOTE ]
"Hello all, with a lot of help from all here, I believe I have the most excellent varmint gun made /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am so happy with that rig..."

Thank You - Rod

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... are you going to keep the world in suspense?

What, pray tell, is "... the most excellent varmint gun made"??

Inquiring minds want to know.

How did you scope it, and what critters have you shot with it.

All of us might like to get one!

You obviously have found the "Holy Grail" of varmint guns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
"Hello all, with a lot of help from all here, I believe I have the most excellent varmint gun made /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I am so happy with that rig..."

Thank You - Rod

[/ QUOTE ]

Well... are you going to keep the world in suspense?

What, pray tell, is "... the most excellent varmint gun made"??

Inquiring minds want to know.

How did you scope it, and what critters have you shot with it.

All of us might like to get one!

You obviously have found the "Holy Grail" of varmint guns /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you made any friends or good impressions with your post to this guy. Maybe a dose of humility would help you a little.

James

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think you made any friends or good impressions with your post to this guy. Maybe a dose of humility would help you a little.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you just had to be there and receive his nasty PM's.

My father told me that if you can count your friends on one hand, you are lucky - if you can count them on two hands, your standards are too low.

I have a hand full of friends!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

James

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you just had to be there and receive his nasty PM's.

My father told me that if you can count your friends on one hand, you are lucky - if you can count them on two hands, your standards are too low.

I have a hand full of friends!

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure you have a lot to contribute, but you really turn off a lot of the neophytes and experienced posters here due to your abrasive attitude and demeanor. Most of the time, you message is lost due to the sarcasm and just basic rudeness.

Hopefully your father is helping you work on these issues and if he is not, then that probably explains the situation.

James

[ QUOTE ]
[Hopefully your father is helping you work on these issues and if he is not, then that probably explains the situation.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

My father died of cancer a long time ago.... a$$hole.

And my sarcasm was earned in this (and other) cases.

Stop drinking the cool-aid and wake up.

I was building rifles when you were drooling over your first gun magazine.

Catshooter, I'm still laughing about your awesomely dangerous cheeseburgers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Catshooter, I'm still laughing about your awesomely dangerous cheeseburgers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't remember that - where is it?

I could use a laugh /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[Hopefully your father is helping you work on these issues and if he is not, then that probably explains the situation.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

My father died of cancer a long time ago.... a$$hole.

And my sarcasm was earned in this (and other) cases.

Stop drinking the cool-aid and wake up.

I was building rifles when you were drooling over your first gun magazine.

[/ QUOTE ]

You brought your father into the thread. I merely pointed out that he could help you with your issues. If he were around today, I am sure he would calibrate you to some extent.

Anyway, when you were building your first rifle and trying to get it to shoot well, I was shooting bugholes with rifles that were built correctly.

If you would fall out of love with yourself and not be so abrasive, you could save yourself a lot of controversy both here and in other situations as well.

Again, I am sure you have a lot to contribute, but I just have not figured out what it is yet. Maybe it is how not to act and how not to perform certain operations. Sometimes knowing what to avoid is more beneficial than knowing what to follow and with regard.

BTW, when was the last time you shot long range and where was it?

James

[ QUOTE ]
You brought your father into the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

No... I just mentioned what he said. You dragged him into it. Your lack of class exudes like sweat on a pig.

[ QUOTE ]
I merely pointed out that he could help you with your issues. If he were around today, I am sure he would calibrate you to some extent.

[/ QUOTE ]

HA! ... My father?? If he were around, he would ask me why I was being so polite to a nitwit a$$hole who didn't have the brains to have a conversation without making a fool out of himself.

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, when you were building your first rifle and trying to get it to shoot well, I was shooting bugholes with rifles that were built correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]

No... I don't think so, sonny.

I built this rifle and shot the group.

http://www.snipercountry.com/images/Pablito-M24-0.46-target.jpg

How many rifles have you personally built, or do you just throw money at others to do the work, and then claim credit?

I was shooting Bench when the .219 Wasp was a major cartridge. And you shot your first "bughole" WHEN???

Get it right for a change - you have no idea of what you are talking about.

[ QUOTE ]
If you would fall out of love with yourself and not be so abrasive, you could save yourself a lot of controversy both here and in other situations as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

You were the one with the abrasive comments - I wasn't even addressing you, and my comments to super light 17 were not abrasive - they were "tongue-in-cheek", based on a long string of PMs that he sent me, asking me to spec out his "perfect varmint rifle". It had NOTHING TO DO WITH YOU, but you just had to drag your whining butt into it.

I'm not in love with myself, but I have little tolerance for idiots who harass me with PM's, and then expect me to design a rifle for them.

[ QUOTE ]
Again, I am sure you have a lot to contribute, but I just have not figured out what it is yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then don't waste your time reading my useless posts - it's that easy. Then you don't have to be confused with my meaningless posts and abrasive chatter.

That's NOT rocket science.

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it is how not to act and how not to perform certain operations. Sometimes knowing what to avoid is more beneficial than knowing what to follow and with regard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said - advice you should follow. I don't give a skit if you don't want to be 'my friend"... I have friends. And they would be laughing at you. They have less tolerance for whiners than I do.

I didn't come to this board to make friends... I came here to share information - both to get info and to give info - if you don't like my tone, don't read it. It's just that simple.

Did you come to a shooting website and expect people to have a diploma from the Martha Stewart School of Social Polish??

I didn't get one.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW, when was the last time you shot long range and where was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wallingford CT - 1900 meters - 50BMG, AR-50 - 750gr A-Maxs.

And you??

Never mind!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts