Burris Scope Question

3x9mm or 4.5x16mm for this Rifle?

• No Change, Keep the 3x9 right where it is.

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • You may need to reach out, change to the .4.5x16 this year.

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

robndenver

I have a Burris Full Field II 3x9 on my .30-06 Remington Model 700. The rifle has been bedded and accurized by Dave Sullivan at Wind River Rifles. I always hunt with Barnes Vortex Ammunition. I have taken Antelope with it three years in a row, and a Cow Elk last year. None of these shots have been more than 200 yards.

This year I drew a Bull Elk tag in Area 13 Near Craig Colorado, which may require much longer shots, due to the openness of the terrain. I'll be hunting the 4th Rifle season, which pretty much guarantees some snow on the ground. I will also be hunting Antelope on opening day in Wyoming just north and west of Cheyenne, with a buck and a doe tag but that could be in 80 degree weather . . . October 5th. . .

I have a Burris Fullfield II that is a 4.5x14 scope that I intended to mount on a Kimber 300 Win Mag, but I have never fired that rifle, since I won it in a Wyoming Wildlife raffle and it is a RH Rifle and I shoot left handed.

So, for the hunts I am planning this year, should I mount the longer 4.5x16 on my go-to rifle or just leave well enough alone?

Well, thank you for telling me what to do. I think I'll call my gunsmith and have a conversation with him.

I bought Burris optics because they are a Colorado company, make good products, and in my limited interaction with them have had stellar customer service. But, what do I know?

I didn't 'tell' you anything. I suggested. You asked (posted) so I replied.

My other comment is Burris may be a Colorado company but like the majority of optics distributors, they aren't made stateside. They are an importer of offshore optics.

For example, Hawke is headquartered in Fort Wayne, Indiana but their scopes and other optical items come from across the pond and Vortex is in Wisconsin (or Minnesota) but their optics come from various countries including China and the Philippines (I know where my Vipers are made, it's engraved on the erector).

I don't consider Burris to be a premier optic. The only Burris I like at all is the one that auto ranges but it's a cumbersome, proprietary mounted unit.

If it was me, I'd sell the odd rifle and invest in something more long range, but thats just me.

I presume you are an adult and can rationalize your upcoming hunt and what it entails. Keep in mind that the shot (and animal) of a lifetime is only one shot away...or a miss. Why take a chance. Mount the best you can afford and increase your chances for success.

As an aside, very few optics are made here today. Reason being is the labor is too costly and domestically made pushes the cost to an uncompetitive level.

If it were me I'd change scopes in the short term and go with the greater magnification. If you are considering long range a suitable caliber and better optics are warranted. JMHO

Many people are hung up on brand names and better cartridges. You will hear of super high magnifications,and brands such as Nightforce, Leupold, etc. I truly have had just as good of luck with Burris as any other manufacturer. I truly believe they build the best handgun scope avail today. I own the Eliminator 3, several handgun scopes and some on BIG boomers. They hold up and track like a train. The 3x9 is plenty for a 3006. If the idea that the other magnification makes you sleep better at night then go for it.. All I can say is the old sayin.......Beware of the man with one gun,, he might know how to shoot it. there is alot of truth to this. I would take a 30 06 that i knew well, and could handle it and use it way before I take a 338AM that only shoots off a bench and is worthless to me due to not knowing the rifle and scope combination.:D

Re: Burris Scope Question - Solved. . .

So taking this information into account, I have decided to bite the bullet and buy this - Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x44 Scope to put on a Sig 716 .308 Patrol Rifle, and leave the Burris on the .30-06 that I talked about earlier. But, I may take the Sig 716 Antelope Hunting this year instead of the Bolt gun I referred to in my earlier post. Sidecar Flip gave me very good advice I think.

I've always had great success with Burris as a hunter. I have a 3-9 Fulfield on my .243 deer rifle and the 4.5-14 version on my old 300WM elk rifle. I've killed many, many elk and deer looking through a Burris scope. If not having a $1000+ scope means you can't bag your game, you've got bigger problems.

I also went with Burris because they are a Colorado company with great customer service. I used to work at a gun shop in Littleton, CO and all the old timers, including Corky the owner said the same thing.

I'd run the 4.5-14 if it were me, you won't notice 1.5x at the low end, but adding 5x at the higher magnification surely can't hurt.

But that's just my non-snob opinion.

I have a Burris Full Field II 3x9 on my .30-06 Remington Model 700. The rifle has been bedded and accurized by Dave Sullivan at Wind River Rifles. I always hunt with Barnes Vortex Ammunition. I have taken Antelope with it three years in a row, and a Cow Elk last year. None of these shots have been more than 200 yards.

This year I drew a Bull Elk tag in Area 13 Near Craig Colorado, which may require much longer shots, due to the openness of the terrain. I'll be hunting the 4th Rifle season, which pretty much guarantees some snow on the ground. I will also be hunting Antelope on opening day in Wyoming just north and west of Cheyenne, with a buck and a doe tag but that could be in 80 degree weather . . . October 5th. . .

I have a Burris Fullfield II that is a 4.5x14 scope that I intended to mount on a Kimber 300 Win Mag, but I have never fired that rifle, since I won it in a Wyoming Wildlife raffle and it is a RH Rifle and I shoot left handed.

So, for the hunts I am planning this year, should I mount the longer 4.5x16 on my go-to rifle or just leave well enough alone?
When you go out on the plains or looking across canyons in the mountains you want the highest quality glass you can possibly afford and better than 9x magnification.

Be prepared to shoot farther than your thinking you will because you likely may well have to.

I would keep the Burris where it is at, I have the 3-9x40 on my 22-250 and have bagged varmints at close to 500 yards with that setup. A lot will tell when you start shooting at the longer ranges, if you aren't comfortable to the distance you practice with the 3-9, then by all means move the bigger scope onboard. Me personally, I use a 2.5-8x36, on my 300 Win Mag, but right now I only shoot to 400 yards, I want to get to 800, so I am looking at 12-14 on the top end now.

If you're only trying to get to 400-500ish on big game then the Burris should be good enough. No doubt it has a plex-style reticle in it, and in a second focal plane system that reticle can be used quite effectively for downrange zeroing and windage applications, and not bad for rangefinding apps.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts