Burris Eliminator III Scope Review

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Burris Eliminator III Scope Review, By Roger Seale. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I owned a Burris Eliminator 3 or 4 x 12 by 44. I was recommended by a professional personality to buy it. Yes the range finder is awesome. It even went out to 1200 yards in one reading. Mind blowing! I input all of my data of my bullet in a excel sheet and all I had to do was change the altitude. It did everything it said it did and adjusted. My only gripe is the quality of the glass was ok. Ok might be good for some but not for when I spend $1,100 dollars. It low light I was disappointed. It missed that clear image I value in the last 15 minutes of the morning and evening.

I just sold the scope on Ebay for $900

I turned around and bought a Montana Cascade Extreme Rifle chambered in 300 win Mag. Leupold® Custom Shop -6 3-18x44mm in Covert Green, with the FireDot® WindPlexTM reticle and CDS-ZL locking adjustment. VX® The VX-6. For $3,499. I promised my new wife I needed one last gun before we had a family.

I know squat about long range hunting but my sons trips out west deer huntin in the last few years got me interested. Most of my shots at deer have been bow range with longbow,or shot gun slugs here in Michigan. Any how they just changed the law that allows us ta use straight walled cals no longer than 1.8". I already owned a R15, Remmington's version of the AR 15, chambered in 450 bushmaster. After 125 this thing drops like ah rock. We recently got premission ta hunt some huge farm feilds as long as we donate the meat to the soup kitchens.
When I saw the video on the Eliminator III I was thiunkin this is the ticket fir shootin them critters ahway out (300yds) with the 450. Got a great price on the thing but was ah little confused when I saw the instructions, Yes I am simple Ha, so it's mounted on my boys 6.5x284 Cooper for his deer hunt out west this year. Reckon by them he's gonna have all chyphered out. I'll get it back for the 450 and he can teach me.

Now other thoughts on this thing. Bein the boy got me interested in longer range huntin I hauled off and bought ah Savage Weather Warrior in 270WSM just in case one ah the regular old boys in his group dont go one year and I can sneak in. I was tempted ta put that Elminator on that but I did some more cypherin. I'm not the best shot in the world so I was thinkin I really dont want ta shoot at a deer over 300yds. The federal balistic chart says if I zero it 250yds I aint gonna be over 3" up or down. Sounds like a just hold in the middle and shoot at my longest shot. Dont see why I would need the Elimanator for that. Would sure like your comments on my idea about all this. Thanks in advance.

If 300 yards is your max capability in the field when hunting with a 270 WSM, then I don't personally see the need for a E-3 for it.

Thanks Ernie. I'm thinkin It would work a lot better on my 450 because of the drop.

Gurn,

Quick answer, Yes, the Elliminator III will work on the 450.

Long answer, what is you true efffective and optimal range with the 450? Will you have a bench to shoot from or will you be off hand or leaning on the side of a blind with little support? If you will be on a bench, you effective range can be 300 yards. If not, I doubt your ethical range would exceed 200 yards. With the ballistics of the 450, your drop is massive from 250 yards out (depending on your zero), any small miscalculation or motion by the shooter will be grossly magnificated down range.

Also, will you be walking and shooting with this gun? If so, as much as I love the Elliminator, it is not necessarly the best choice for quick snap shots. A2x7 or 3x9 might be your best choice. Looking at the Ballistics for your round, you could adjust your zero to your optimal terminal point.

I have attached two separate drop charts for the standard Hornady 250gr load with velicity of 2200 from the muzzle. If 90 percent of your shots would be 150 to 200 I would recommend at zero of 150. If 200 to 250, mabe a zero of 200. You could zero at 250 but then your close shots would be 9" high and 300 would be 10" low.

For drops of this magnitude, I personally feel the effective range of this gun in most hunnting applications is 200 yards. While you still have ample energy (1275 FPE) at 200, your velocity has dropped to 1515 fps. At 250 your energy is down to 1052 and velocity 1376. At 300 it is 875 fpe and 1255 fps. I personally don't feel ethical about shooting at deer sized game with energy below 1000fpe, even though less can kill, it is my personal belief not to do so. Also, I feel shooting long range takes ethics. Just because you "might" hit the deer or target animal does not mean you should try. I have seen too many animals in the woods that have been wounded by inaccurate shots with high powered rifles at normal range for a menagerie of reasons and these gun are designed for the ranges shot.

So, if you plan to streatch this gun out, dont beleive the paper number. Learn it, shoot it and be able to duplicate it before you dope the scope and fire one off at an animal. That goes for any gun, any scope, and live target. We owe that to our sport and to our game.

Happy shooting.

Attachments

• 450 1.PNG
    450 1.PNG
    24 KB · Views: 142
  • 450 2.PNG
    450 2.PNG
    23.6 KB · Views: 148
Thanks a bunch for all the time and effort of your replies boys. I'm not worried about the 875 engery. I think a lot of sucessful hand gun hunters deal in #s close to that. I would pratice alot shooting from one ah those caldwell rest that support the front and back. Thats how I would be huntin. As a longbow hunter I fully understand knowin the limits of your weapon with a arra comming out at 150fps. Arrow or bullet placement and being able ta do so it the most important factor. All Those charts ar really helpful.

Long time lurker,first time poster in this eminent forum.

So guys,have anyone heard any updated info about a new model for 2016?

One could say its bout time ;)

Reviewing "E-buy", it appears that the 2016 model has an improved exterior and an upgraded price point to about $1,500 but I cannot find any interior/software upgrades. Does anyone have more specific info? Many thanks, overbore

Reviewing "E-buy", it appears that the 2016 model has an improved exterior and an upgraded price point to about $1,500 but I cannot find any interior/software upgrades. Does anyone have more specific info? Many thanks, overbore

Yep I would be interested in finding that out to.

"The Eliminator III 4-16x50mm is now available with a Remote Cable Switch to activate the On/Range button from any position the shooter desires (Model #200119 only).
The Remote Cable Switch is flexible, and has a length of 14-24 inches to accommodate various mounting positions. Push button activation is simple and repeatable."

Well, men, in order to make an accurate comment on this new technology scope, one must have one sooo, yes I did. A Pennsylvania seller adverting on "u-buy" was retailing a new in the box unit at $1,349 so I pulled the lanyard and now have one to learn.

Quick observations: the scope base has an integral Picatinny base mounting which mated exactly to my rifle's base; A fast, strong and reliable system; a great plus/. Next, the system uses 123A batteries of which one is included. A fast review of the manual's data for Berger G1 is not there but a fast look at the Berger products page is easy to do to get a book value of .566for my 190 gr bullets. Since I do not have fast access to a 750 yard range to do a confirming drop test, I do have a Pejsa ballistics program on my pc so I can get quite close before going to the long range target.

I will comment as I climb the learning curve but I do have a very positive opinion as even a sun shade is included plus scope covers and a lens cleaning cloth. Looks like a great product!
Laus Deo
overbore

Since this scope and custom rifle are not bottom of price point units, Brown is delivering a 30mm scope level and two more boxes of Berger Hunting bullets which will be loaded into the already neck turned and weight sorted new brass. Final rounds will be sorted by bullet runout limits of 0.0015" as measured on a old Little Wiggler from Chet Brown fitted with a 0.0001" gauge. Powder charges are checked on an Ohaus lab scale. This is a "one shot counts" project so slow and careful is my motto as I am too dang old to start over. Hint: this Fall I will be 16 again for the 64th time; YIKES!!!!! H4350 is expected to generate 2.990 '/sec.
Laus Deo
overbore

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.