Buffer retainer

swpc629

I don't have much experience with an AR-15. My son has one that everytime you pull to the bolt back the buffer retainer and the buffer retainer spring will come out and lodge somewhere in the lower receiver. Most of the time it will lodge so that the hammer can't strike the firing pin. Could someone please advise me on how to repair this problem?

I don't have much experience with an AR-15. My son has one that everytime you pull to the bolt back the buffer retainer and the buffer retainer spring will come out and lodge somewhere in the lower receiver. Most of the time it will lodge so that the hammer can't strike the firing pin. Could someone please advise me on how to repair this problem?

Your buffer tube isn't screwed in far enough to hold the retaining pin in place.
You need to hold the pin down with one hand, and keep screwing the buffer tube in. It will stop about 1/3 over the pin so that it can still retain the buffer, but won't fall out.

If I'm understanding this right(and I'm not sure that I am:D), it sounds like the buffer detent isn't catching the buffer/spring when it moves forward. Take the upper off and check that the pin that stops the buffer from coming forward too far is ok. Sometimes the pin or the little spring that pushes it up will break or get worn down wich would allow the buffer and spring to move forward too far after the bolt is racked. A little more info or a pic would be helpful.

SWPC, you got two fine answers! Not being that familiar, as you said, with the ARs, the first thing you have to do is remove the butt stock. If it's the older A-2 , solid model, there's a big screw on the top of the butt to take out. Then the stock will slide off. There's a "plug" inside, so don't loose or misoreintate it if it falls out. Can't go but one way anyways. Once you have the stock off, you'll see a built in nut on the recoil tube. Now, look at the pin at the other end and see how it's in relationship to the buffer. It should be only the pin against it. The tube should be far enough turned in to go over the base of the pin and only very close to the pin, practically touching it. That allows you to push the pin down which will release the buffer and spring. That's also the way you align the tube when re-installing it. You have to push down on the pin so you can tighten the tube up to the pin and over it's base.
Now, the collapsible stocks are slightly different. You can still see the relationship of the pin to the buffer. These stocks have a nut and retainer on them. Loosen the retainer nut to un-screw the stock. Needs a spanner wrench.
One answer you got was to check the pin and it's spring. Yep, the pins sometimes break off. Sometimes the tube isn't in far enough to hold the pin down and as the bolt moves rearward it passes the pin and it will dislodge from it's hole. Either way , it's an easy fix.

When you remove a butt stock take care not to lose the take down detent and spring which goes into the rear of the receiver under the front of the stock! Please don't ask how I know this.

Quackshot, I know ! I know ! Yep, I know what you mean ! Been there, done that ! Once. Hard not to forget the experience, ain't it?:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.