Browning Eclipse Target Rifle Review

ADMIN

Administrator
Every year it is interesting to see what the rifle manufacturers come up with to pique the interest of the long range shooters. The Eclipse Target Rifle chambered in .308 or 6.5 Creedmoor proved to be a viable entry into long range arena. It might be a little bulky and heavy for the hunting crowd but for those who shoot paper or steel it may be just fit the bill. F class shooters will love this rifle as you can buy it one day, scope it, go to the store for some Amax's and you are ready to compete. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Browning Eclipse Target Rifle Review, By John Johnston. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I have a Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker in .300 Win. mag with the"Eclipse" stock as an "option" that I purchased after buying the rifle. That laminated stock is very nice and very HEAVY. But hey, the Eclipse target rifle is for target shooting where weight is a factor on the positive side.

Now I have a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor. It cost me exactly $1,000. (plus tax.) and is supremely accurate with the right load. 1/2" groups with 140 gr. Hornady ELD-M factory cartridges is almost boringly common. Can't wait to start reloading.

Like the Browning Eclipse, the RPR is is around 14 lbs. with my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 X 50 FFP scope and mount. As I said, target rifles tend to be heavy. And like the Browning the Ruger has a 3 lug bolt which is the main reason I bought my A-Bolt 20 years ago.

As was famously said many decades ago, the only interesting rifles are accurate rifles.

Eric B.

Have the same exact rifle. Have had it a couple months but have not shot it because it was naked. Finally the scope is mounted. I'm nearly ready to go. The Browning Rep told me the 6.5 Creed is Browning's most accurate round - we shall see.

The 4 screws per ring mount is because the metal on top of the receiver is on the thin side and Browning did not what to have scope mount issues. This idea is not written in stone anywhere.

Glad to have some data to compare my rifle to. Many thanks to the author. I went with the Vortex Viper HST, 6-24x50.

Reloaded the new Hornady 6.5 ELD-X. First time shooting this cal.. By the way, these bullets are tough to get - right now. Seems like the 143's may be a little heavy for the cal. Any thoughts?

I used Hornady 143gr ELDX ammo last weekend on an Axis hunt. The bullet performed very well on a buck at 65 yards. The bullet wound and hydrostatic shock was extensive. The exit wound was at 1/2 inch. Next I shot an Axis doe through the ribs, The bullet did not exit and the jacket was found just under the skin.

I was shooting a Browning LRH 6.5 Creedmoor.

Yes the bullets are hard to find right now. The 6.5 mm 143gr weight was designed for the best BC in this caliber. Basically any bullet manufacturer usually go to a heavier bullet to get a higher BC. The 143gr ELDX did well on the bench and in the field.

Reloaded the new Hornady 6.5 ELD-X. First time shooting this cal.. By the way, these bullets are tough to get - right now. Seems like the 143's may be a little heavy for the cal. Any thoughts?

140 Gr bullets seem to be the optimum for the Creedmoor, especially for long range shooting. I shoot the 140 VLD and 140 A-Max with good success in mine.

Seems most folks use a 4350 powder and some use 4831SC. I use H4350 and RL17. RL17 will give impressive speeds but is somewhat temp sensitive. It is very accurate though.

ssineden,
140 gr. is Hornady's MATCH bullet weight and it's very accurate. 143 is their hunting bullet weight.
The bullet's jacket thickness gradually thickens toward the base and has a locking ring but in 1/2 way down the inside if the jacket.

140 gr. & 143 gr. is a good weight for 6.5 mm as it carries supersonic speed further with those VLD and "semi-VLD" shapes. Plus for most hunting you want some more weight in the bullet.

Eric B.

I bought one in .308. It's boringly accurate with any match bullet. Having a 1:10 twist is also very nice

I"m very impressed with the target eclipse,my brother bought one and I have bin doing load development for it using imr4350 and 139 gr Scenars and have it shooting half inch groups at 100 yards.I had it out last week and it is shooting right around .5 moa(sometimes better) at all ranges out to 900 yards so far.I h20 capacity tested and seperated the hornady cases and I am using only exact ones for long range and thinking that helps.I use fireformed 22-250 rem cases in my own 6.5 cm(weatherby vanguard) but it is a hunting rifle and that's all I use it for so far. This eclipse is crazy accurate so far and I cannot say a bad thing about it.I have shot a buddies Ruger LPR in the 6.5 CM but with hornady factory ammo and was also impressed till I shot the eclipse but I cannot compare the 2 till we get some handloads in the LPR.Gonna take it out to 1000 yards and beyond this week.

MODS FOR MY A-BOLT

I could put a nice Proof Research barrel on my .300 Win mag A-Bolt. Then I'd bolt it on the Eclipse laminated stock that I already have. I had the stock pillar bedded and epoxy bedded so it would be ready to go for target shooting.

That would be so nice -> a 3 lug .300 Win mag Browning target rifle. I would be ready for F-class competition and save my 6.5 CM Ruger Precision rifle for PRS.
Of course I'd have to get a Bushnell XRS scope for NRA F-class.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.