brn-180 ?

seems like going from 5x to 25 x magnification got rid of my fliers at 100 yds. That may have been the cause all along.
I have a bit of astigmatism--- so nothing is a crisp as it used to be.

I have astigmatism myself, non etched illuminated reticles and fixed parallax scopes give me wonky results over the power range. It's not hard to find etched reticle scopes, but side focus parallax eliminates quite a few of the lower tier scopes. Another member suggested using the 1951 USAF optical resolution chart. Then another suggested the Knight version. You'd be surprised by how far your parallax or ocular adjustment can be off just using a standard target. Well, at least for me.

These are the first targets I hang up,.usually with a orange 1" center dot on the Knight version.

IMG_2470.png
IMG_2471.png

It's so hard to explain how much slight errors in parallax adjustment affect you until it's demonstrated to you so many times.

I remember about 1999--- I bought some cor-bon HP in 223. Wanted a good home defense round that would open up a lot and not over penetrate....
I discovered that the rounds would often set back in the case from chambering. several times they went back so far I think the base of the bullet was hitting the powder- else it would have gone all the way in. The case mouth was 1/2 way up the ogive. I just threw the whole lot out because they were just too dangerous. Must have had very little crimp. I like cannelures for that reason. If I'm doing smooth ones I give them a good squeeze with the factor crimp die. especially if its an autoloader. Had some expensive factory pistol rounds do that too.

Anyway- I moved the 5x prism back to the brn-180 now that the load looks good to go. I put the 5-25x56 onto my savage heavy barrel 308. Now I can use either one for coyotes. I will commence as soon as deer season is over.
about 10 more days.....

Kind of liking the mil scope so far. just starting to learn to range with it. simpler than I expected.