Brand new CA Ridgeline 300 PRC Chambering issue?

Just for kicks...pull a bullet out of cartridge and cycle the new brass into the rifle. Without the bullet does it cycle smoothly?

Trying to rule out Chamber,Throat,Leade.

Then use a sharpie and color the bullet "Black" then cycle it in and out one time. It will show where its contacting easier also.
Actually, I just got it out of the safe to box it up and I cycled a couple of the 212 ELDX live rounds, and they both cycled very smooth and I did not see the marks on the bullet this time? I am a little confused. The bullets I took a pic of were before I went and shot it and cleaned it last.. (edited to ad this) I just tried the 225 ELDM and they cycled smoothly as well.

Last edited:
Did you clean it before you shot it for the first time? Clean out the chamber with a mop, rag, anything?

Depending on production, it may have been test fired and left to sit for awhile. Not sure I believe a dirty chamber from test fired, but you never know.

Maybe pick up another brand of ammo if able and see if it will chamber/shoot.

Also take the same bullets you have and cycle them all to check fit. When you do, cycle the same one in but rotate it slightly to see if it is fitting uniform.

If you reload and have 30 cal bullets. Take one of the fired cases and see if a bullet will slide in the neck. It should slide in without hardly any resistance. If it is tight and has resistance, the chamber is tight is the neck.

Last edited:
Did you clean it before you shot it for the first time? Clean out the chamber with a mop, rag, anything?

Depending on production, it may have been test fired and left to sit for awhile. Not sure I believe a dirty chamber from test fired, but you never know.

Also take the same bullets you have and cycle them all to check fit. When you do, cycle the same one in but rotate it slightly to see if it is fitting uniform.

If you reload and have 30 cal bullets. Take one of the fired cases and see if a bullet will slide in the neck. It should slide in without hardly any resistance. If it is tight and has resistance, the chamber is tight is the neck.
Yes, I did clean it before shooting it the first time, and it was pretty dirty. I have been doing exactly how it says to do on break-in on the CA website. Shoot two 3 shot groups and clean completely until there is no blue copper residue on the patch. The bullets in the picture were done prior to shooting the gun the last time I went to the range. I completely cleaned it and put it in the safe. I was getting it out to box it up and I thought I would take great care to make sure the bullets were sliding directly into the chamber and there were very little to no marks on the bullets the 212 grain as well as the 225 grain. I don't know, it confused the heck out of me. I even took one of the 212-grain bullets and did what 300 PRC recommended. I colored the whole projectile with a sharpie, carefully slid the bullet into the chamber, and closed the bolt, I then slowly and carefully ejected the round to find almost no markings on the projectile. I cycled the longer 225 grain through and the bolt was no longer hard to close when chambering either bullet weight I don't really use the word perplexed. but that would be how I feel right now. The bore and chamber are both mirror shiny and clean. both bullet weights seem to cycle very smooth now.. Maybe there was a sharp burr on something and it finally smoothed out, someone sprinkled fairy dust on it? I don't know?

Perhaps there was some debris in the chamber that was causing the issue - forcing case to one side and causing tight chambering and bullet marking? Even though you are cleaning the bore, often times the chamber is not swabbed/cleaned and perhaps some debris could have caused the issues. Seems like you need to find someone with a borescope before you take the trouble of boxing it up and sending back. The teslong borescope is an inexpensive option if you want to purchase one.

I found an old box of Hornady 30 cal. 110 grain .308 round nose bullets, which I have no idea where I got them, but the projectiles slide in and out of the fired 300 PRC brass easily.

Perhaps there was some debris in the chamber that was causing the issue - forcing case to one side and causing tight chambering and bullet marking? Even though you are cleaning the bore, often times the chamber is not swabbed/cleaned and perhaps some debris could have caused the issues. Seems like you need to find someone with a borescope before you take the trouble of boxing it up and sending back. The teslong borescope is an inexpensive option if you want to purchase one.
Yes, I put the boxing up on hold. Yeah, I did swab the chamber good the last time I cleaned it with a chamber swab. Which I did not have in my previous cleanings. I may need to get one of the borescopes, I seem to always wish I had one for one reason or another.

if anyone has a Christensen 7 mag that is a total *** I'll give you half of what you paid for it! Especially a new one that's been sent back and checked out by Christensen I'd prefer a ridge line but a Mesa or traverse will work. 😁

Recent Posts