Boot Shopping... help?

wilkup

I'm looking for a new pair of boots that I will do a fair amount of hiking in but still wear on the street too.
I've been checking out the Lowa Oslo GTX because they are pretty lightweight, seem less aggressive than a true dedicated mountaineering boot and I've heard so many good reports on this being a solid company.
Anyone have these boots or know someone who's used them?

I run both the Solomon Quest 4D GTX and the Solomon X ALP Mountaineering boots. The mountaineering boot is stiffer, but a good mountain hiking boot with a pack on. The Quest is absolutely the most comfortable boots I have ever worn. I wear a pair almost every day at work and have a pair for just hiking and hunting. They may "look" aggressive, but they are honestly very comfortable for daily wear.

Dirty Steve

I'm wearing the Lowa Camino LL for daily wear. I am very pleased with them.

Solomon running shoes are the best i have ever worn. I dont doubt the suggestions from the other post are very good suggestions.

I wear the Lowa Renegades for general hiking and hunting and am pleased with them. Definitely good quality boots.

I dont want to derail the tread but would like to ask a quick question.

My wife needs a pair of insulated pair of boots. Could anyone tell me how the Lowa Tibet Superwarm GTX compares in insulation to a pair of Kenetrek 400 gram boot?

My daily boot outside of work boots is mendl perfect light or ultimate hunter, with cork footbed. Bought a 2nd pair. I wear them walking around woods .

By to aggressive, you men to heavy, or doesn't match your belt?

-> For a lot of hunting in Nevada high country I wear Merrill Mid Moab GTX hiking boots.

For more warmth I add:
1. US Divers 3 mm neoprene divers' sox over thin poly liner socks.
2. Cabela's GTX knee-high gaiters

These two additions keep my feet dry and warm to 10 F. if I move every hour.

-> For more warmth I wear Timberland GTX camo cloth & leather boots with 200 weight Thinsulate and my gaiters.

->For MAX warmth I wear Canadian made Sorel felt pacs with the US Divers sox system to keep the felt liners dry and warm all day.

Eric B.

The soles on mountain boots are usually very soft rubber for traction. You will wear them out very fast if you wear them around town. They are also quite stiff, not that comfortable and probably not good for your feet to wear daily. Its just not natural for your foot to be in a boot like that, but I have no data to base that on. I have a pair of Lowa tibets. Great summer boot, but that are an ice box in cold weather. Schnees will be my next boot.

I like my Meindl Perfekt Hunters for field use, they are relatively stiff and very comfortable with the cork foot bed. That said, they wouldn't be my choice for street wear. I LOVE danner pronghorns for both light field use and around the town wear. I have had several pairs and they break in fast and end up wearing like really thick socks. I found that after about a year the pronghorn's were hands down the most comfortable boots I've worn.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts