BOOK RECOMMENDATION: "Rocky Mountain National Park - The Complete Hiking Guide"

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
Since I started writing about my own technique for mountain training I have gotten quite a few emails.

Some ask questions about recommended hiking trails for training.

So I called one guy today to discuss his emailed question. He and his wife love to hike the mountains. They like day routes that have up to 3,000 feet of elevation gain and are under 4 miles each way.

That comes close to my own hike route selection parameters. For example, limiting a route to 4 miles one way means I can get off the top of the mountain in time to avoid getting struck by lightening in the mid afternoon. :)

so I gave him the name of the guide book I used to select my own RMNP trails for last summer.

"Rocky Mountain National Park - The Complete Hiking Guide", written by Lisa Foster. This latest edition was published in 2012, shortly before she and a hiking companion died in a spring avalanche in RMNP.

I had been curious about who she was and when I googled her name, the story of her tragic death came up.

Anyway, this guide book lists many, many trails in the park. Included is length, elevation gain, degree of difficulty and a good description of the area encompassed.

I like to get up high quickly, above treeline to the alpine areas. Up there all my cares evaporate. A trail that stayed in the heavy timber with no wide open alpine views for an hour or more at a time would be pretty painful for me.

Attachments

• RMNP-book.jpg
    RMNP-book.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
What I like about hiking the alpine areas:

Attachments

• DSC03090.JPG
    DSC03090.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 237
I do not think Amazon sells the current edition

Why don't you try clicking the link in my article.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.