Big OK Hog Down

Chopperguy

My wife and I did a hog hunt in SW OK a couple weeks ago.

It was after a 2 day long range shooting school at No Mercy Hunting near Adadarko, OK.

She stalked with a guide and I to within about 10 years of this boar that was under some brush taking his afternoon siesta. It was his last nap!

Great tusks and weighed about 250-260 pounds. Great first hog for her.

Attachments

• IMG_2194.jpg
    IMG_2194.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 152
What, you couldn't get anymore people behind it? I think you could have squeezed in a couple more for the pic!

Nice hog!

The easiest way to get a good estimate it the heart girth measurement. You measure the chest directly behind the arm pits to get the smallest circumference you can with a taut measuring tape. Take the number of inchs, multiply by 10, then subtract 200 and that will give you a very close actual estimate of the weight.

That is the shortcut formula. The real formula will give you a result that is literally 1-3 lbs different and involves a lot more calculation that I can never remember in the field...
http://www.thepigsite.com/articles/1106/use-heart-girth-to-estimate-the-weight-of-finishing-pigs/

A tape measure is easy to carry in the field and the hog can be "weighed" on the ground, so no hoisting necessary as with a scale.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.