Big bore levergun

Antonio m

I am looking for a .444 marlin,.450 marlin or a 45/70 lever gun. I missed a deal on a .450 and looking at an older Marlin 444 ss rifle.It has been used lots ,the bore looks good to me and it cycles well...I just don't care for Marlin's.Who out there has experience with this chambering and what did you think?What would you pay for this jm stamped model in average shape?Thanks

Check your local Wally World, believe it or not they had the 45/70's listed as clearance items about two weeks ago, they were marked down to $299.00 and you also got a $50.00 rebate to send in, hard to beat $249.00 for one...they are all big fat deer smashers, like shooting deer with a 20 guage slug...check walfart, maybe you'll get lucky ..

I am looking for a .444 marlin,.450 marlin or a 45/70 lever gun. I missed a deal on a .450 and looking at an older Marlin 444 ss rifle.It has been used lots ,the bore looks good to me and it cycles well...I just don't care for Marlin's.Who out there has experience with this chambering and what did you think?What would you pay for this jm stamped model in average shape?Thanks

I own a couple .444's and one .450 guide gun. They don't compare! Personally, I like the .444 better. Own lever guns from Marlin (ain't touching a Remington destroyed one), Winchester, and a couple others. Calibers from 22 Rimfire to .450. The Marlin is the way to go, but the Henry is a pretty nice rifle too. Browning did several large bore lever guns, but think their biggest was .358. For me the best lever gun ever was the Savage 99, but they never did a big bore rifle.

The .450 is not for the average Joe! Serious recoil, and a fast second shot is not easy. This is the hardest rifle I've ever seen to zero, because the recoil starts getting to you on the fourth shot. Forget about a scope! I bought the rifle as a dangerous game back up, and it'll do that very well. In other words a 25 yard rifle. The .444 just shoots well. I've shot everything from 225 grains to 330 grain bullets thru it. Seems to like the 275 grain area best. My first rifle shoot five shot groups in the 1.40" area, but have seen a couple 1.25" area. They had scopes, and I use open sights on both guns. Have not shot the second one much, and was bought as a donor to build something different. I've seen two or three Winchesters in .444, and the Marlin always shot better. Never had much affection for the 45-70. Most all factor ammo is sub par to factory .444, and it's not as fun as you'd think to hand load for. I've done more than I like to admit. Nice thing about the 45-70 is that brass comes cheaper than the .450, and you really want the Innovative Tech die.

gary

I can't speak to the 444 in real experience but I admire the cartridge because of the robustness of the brass.

I own a Marlin 45-70 Guide Gun. I cast my own bullets and load my own ammo and I can tell you it is second to none.

45-70 government factory ammo is pretty mild. My handloads run mild to wild. Pull the trigger on a hot 500 grain bullet load and it will tell you which teeth in your mouth have fillings in them. You can stop a marauding elephant if you need to. 1960 fps with a jacketed 350 grain bullet out of a short barrel is a real powerhouse and very manageable too.

I like my 1998 vintage Marlin and I like the 45-70.

I own a Marlin Guide Gun in 45/70 its my backpacking rifle up here in Alaska and I love the rifle, I've got no complaints with it. I have HSM Bear Loads in it which are 430 grain, the first rounds through it were 320 and it grouped surpassingly well.

I plan on making ,whatever I get as short as I can make it.This will be a backpack/saddle rifle for close encounters only.I occasionally work as a game guide for our local outfitters and next spring have been asked to do some G bear hunts.I have many lever guns and use them for everything my sheep rifle is a BLR.Is a well used Marlin 444 ss worth 400.00 dollars?I am leading towards this because right now and one is available for this with a 3 die set.Just wondering?For 400.00 the rifle will be improvising as a tent pole and a Jack handle when needed on occasion. Cheers

As you can see from my handle, I LOVE my 444. It was the last gun my dad bought for me as a kid, before I was responsible for buying my own. It's an older model and the 265gr flat point from Hornady shoots around 1" when I do my part. I'd say a 444 is definitely worth $400, regardless of manufacture (Remlin or Marlin) and if it's a JM stamped Marlin 444ss, it's worth way more than $400.

It's a capable round, for sure, and it depends on whether you want to have a turnkey big bore for 300gr+ bullets, or if you want to reload to get the most potential.

I'd say if you want a turnkey rig, a 45-70 would be an easier solution with readily available loads of 300-400gr.

If you want to handload and take advantage of higher sectional density and a little more exclusivity, go with the 444. (And if you don't reload, there are 300+gr loads out there, but you'll pay $$$ for them.) If it's an older model with microgroove rifling, it *might* have issues shooting the 300gr loads well, and might need tweaking to do so. I stick with loads under 300gr since they shoot so well, and offer pretty decent trajectory, so I don't have good advice for 300gr+.

As you can see from my handle, I LOVE my 444. It was the last gun my dad bought for me as a kid, before I was responsible for buying my own. It's an older model and the 265gr flat point from Hornady shoots around 1" when I do my part. I'd say a 444 is definitely worth $400, regardless of manufacture (Remlin or Marlin) and if it's a JM stamped Marlin 444ss, it's worth way more than $400.

It's a capable round, for sure, and it depends on whether you want to have a turnkey big bore for 300gr+ bullets, or if you want to reload to get the most potential.

I'd say if you want a turnkey rig, a 45-70 would be an easier solution with readily available loads of 300-400gr.

If you want to handload and take advantage of higher sectional density and a little more exclusivity, go with the 444. (And if you don't reload, there are 300+gr loads out there, but you'll pay $$$ for them.) If it's an older model with microgroove rifling, it *might* have issues shooting the 300gr loads well, and might need tweaking to do so. I stick with loads under 300gr since they shoot so well, and offer pretty decent trajectory, so I don't have good advice for 300gr+.
This is what I like to hear..including the God bless and the same to you.I do handload and would in this case.I passed on a .450 Marlin and the 45/70 is not really on my radar.A .405 win might be though.Comparing down range ballistics doesn't matter either really because a premium 265 grain bullet will get there at 50 yards in this case,and a 300 grain might wobble a bit but hell, the bullet is nearly square anyways.I won't be doping the wind,for sure.Next year it could be pretty fun sending a rainbow bullet a little ways on Billy goat ,using a tang style reciever sight.Any load recommendations for long ranging goats?(150-200 yards )I'm close on calling this seller with the .444.Cheers

The 265gr Superformance Hornady load (either flat point or FTX) is gonna be hard to beat. 2400fps is surprisingly flat shooting--even with the 240gr Remington load, I was able to ring the 300yd gong with open sights every shot. You're gonna love this gun.

The 265gr Superformance Hornady load (either flat point or FTX) is gonna be hard to beat. 2400fps is surprisingly flat shooting--even with the 240gr Remington load, I was able to ring the 300yd gong with open sights every shot. You're gonna love this gun.
How do you find that 265 grain Hornady ftx on large game or would I be better off with the interlock on elk,moose etc.I have the manual open as I type I see 2300 fps is doable.Just wondering

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.