Best caliber for deer out to 800 yards

Standard 264 win mag with 140s or 7 RM with 160s. To hard and close to decide between the 2 for me. I use the 7 however because its bit more versatile on elk for one rifle to do all I want or need.

4" would be great but is not neccesary for deer size game. Little bigger then coyotes last time I checked..

A solid and consistent 3/4-1 MOA will do.

I'm gonna go with the 300 win mag! Cheaper to shoot and so many more rifles are chambered for it. This includes my Browning BAR. Not to change the subject but I need help. I've got a rifle that has a 98 Mauser action but has a Sporting Arms of Clackamus, Oregon barrel, a ramline or butler creek stock. Shoots good but what is the value?

Hi guys I am new. Just put together set up for a future mule deer hunt. I have always loved rifles with long range ability and 25-06 has been my favorite; but I stepped it up a bit. I was looking for a good rifle .270 win; but when I saw a sako a7 tecomate I had to have it. But they only make it in 270 wsm or 300wsm. Mine is in 270 WSM. I put some old tasco world class rings on it and a bushnell elite 4200 and my father and I both shot it at 300 yards. My dad was shooting right at MOA with a 3 inch group; my group was even better at 2.25" at 300 yards. Dads first shot was cold/clean bore or he may have grouped better. I then upgraded to TPS rings and a zeiss conquest HD5 3-15x42mm. Haven't shot it since the upgrade but I love the rifle and I love the 270 WSM cartridge. The recoil is not bad at all. I shoot 130-grain fed. Premium trophy bonded tipped by the way. Anyway; saw this thread and I wanted to suggest the 270 WSM. I would like to think it can do the job. However, I will go above and beyond to get a shot inside of 500 yards. I did get the rapid z 800 reticle. I have never hunted for mulies but I constantly dream of it. Hope to go within a couple years! There are only white tails in my part of the country and I have harvested a few nice ones. But there is something about a monster mulie that lures me.

I always do web research before buying products and doing other things and it seems like I find a lot of good reading here so I finally joined. Glad to be a member! I noticed many of you stick with your trusty 30 cal cartridges like 300 win mag, 300 wsm, and others when it comes to answering a question like the original post. But 270 WSM had better be able to do the job because It's recoil is very tolerable and I don't desire a more powerful cartridge really.

I love the 25-06 myself! In the past three years it has become my favorite too. I only have whitetail a here as well. I got a chance to air it out on some antelope in Wyoming last fall which completely ruined me. I'm gonna try it out on a Muely one day! Ill go with ya on a vote for the 270WSM. I'm eyeballing one myself at a local pawn shop.

here you go for all that have their personal favorite calibers.. Do the calculating for retained ft lb of energy, wind drift, and drop for this 800 yd rifle. 26 inch barrel 1 in 9 twist 180gr berger 7mm rem win mag primer bullet loaded touching the lands. stoked with retumbo. up to 3050 to 3100 fps depending on barrel. cut rifled the best. Very easy on the shoulder and realy about unbeatable until you go to the 30 378 with a berger 230 or a 338-378 weatherby with a 300 berger. but then you have to deal with exclusive brass and high cost of teloading. No 300 win can touch this easy combo. Call Gunwerks up and ask them out of all the long rang rigs they build what is the best combo'' You 30 cal lover will be surprised..

here you go for all that have their personal favorite calibers.. Do the calculating for retained ft lb of energy, wind drift, and drop for this 800 yd rifle. 26 inch barrel 1 in 9 twist 180gr berger 7mm rem win mag primer bullet loaded touching the lands. stoked with retumbo. up to 3050 to 3100 fps depending on barrel. cut rifled the best. Very easy on the shoulder and realy about unbeatable until you go to the 30 378 with a berger 230 or a 338-378 weatherby with a 300 berger. but then you have to deal with exclusive brass and high cost of teloading. No 300 win can touch this easy combo. Call Gunwerks up and ask them out of all the long rang rigs they build what is the best combo'' You 30 cal lover will be surprised..

How realistic is it to get 3050 FPS with a 180 VLD in a 9 twist, 26", 7mm Rem Mag? This is what I want but thought it would take a STW to achieve.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts