Berger 215 Hybrids in a 300 RUM

captainemil

I have a Remington M40 long range in a 300 RUM, Has anybody shot the 215 Hybrids through one, if so, where should I start them at ? Just looking for ideas

cap, I helped a friend with some loads for his Montana 300RUM 26" stainless barrel. We thought it was going to be a single shot but we luckily started with mag length. We loaded the 215 Berger Hybrid with Nosler brass and 215M primers with H1000 (the Broz Load). This rifle liked 90.5 gr of powder, but start lower since no two rifles like the same charge. It shot .350 MOA @ 200 yds. He was very happy. We haven't tried the Berger 230 OTM yet. Good luck

I run the 215 in my RUM Sendero. My barrel is slow, but the load is accurate. I started them 15 thou off and it was very accurate. I run 91 gr of H1000 FED GM215M, REM brass. This only gets me to 2950 fps so I just shoot my 300 WIn Mag now as it runs the 215 at 3000 fps. The RUM has 1700 rounds through it so it's getting switched to a EDGE this winter.

Actually no its jumping quite a bit. My Wyatts box is 3.825 and it barely clears. I was shoiting 90 grains same speed with 3.105 but learned it wouldnt clear the box. Both liads dhoot sub .5

Starting out on the 215 Hybrids 85gr of H-1000 and 215 gm primer and coal at 3.660 5 rounds and 5 rounds at 3.640.
At 200 yds the 3.660 I had 1/2 MOA , the 3.640 was 1 MOA.
Today I will try 5 at 3.670 and 3.650 and move to 87gr of H-1000, so I think I'm getting close

You might want to find your pressure node before you fine tune your seating depth. If you chrono your load, you might find you are a bit slow.

Could be, we're loading 90.6 gr with no pressure signs for the most accurate load.

So I need to run up the scale with powder to find pressure signs , then back off and find the seating depth ?

This is how some people do it, but be very careful and increase charge weights .5 grains at a time. If a stiff bolt or ejector swipe shows up, back off two grains and test for accuracy, then start varying your seating depth to fine tune. Do this is small increments. You can't work up a load at magazine length at max pressure and then decide to seat to the lands, bad things will happen.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.