Benelli Super Black Eagle II vs Beretta A400 KO

CleanShot

Hello

I'm in the market for a shotgun. I'm mainly interested in it for turkey and waterfowl hunting. I've been reading a lot about it and so far (I think) I've narrowed it down to the Benelli SBE II or the Beretta A400. I was hoping to get some opinions and thoughts on these shotguns and what I should be looking for to make my final decision.

I wanted to shoot them before buying but I don't think that's going to happen because I don't know anyone who as them nor any ranges that let you rent these models.

Thanks
Sam

I personally would not recommend either of these guns.

Benelli - One of the hardest recoiling shotguns out there. Shoot a lot of heavy loads and it becomes miserable. One of the least reliable guns when you are in the mud and cold. It is impossible to keep the action clean enough to cycle rounds reliably in the field. Way over priced and over rated!

Beretta - The few I have been around have jammed a lot and needed to be kept very clean to cycle.

Both feel great in hand at the store but after playing in the mud and cold with your buddies their guns that cost half the price will consistently out perform them in every way. IMO stick with Browning Winchester or Remington for semi automatic shotguns and you will spend far less money and be far happier with the results.

If I had to choose one it would be the Beretta but would be much happier with a Winchester sx3

I know a few goose guides and when they see customers bring a Benelli they bring a spare gun for them. More often then not they end up using the spare.

Thanks for the reply. I have been reading a lot about the Benellis and Berettas so I'm kind of surprised. Most of the reviews and comments on forums really indicated that these would have been the best but not cheapest choices out there. I did read that some people like the Maxus and the SX3 better but the fan boys surely like their Bs.

What do most of the outfitters and guides use themselves?

Thanks
Sam

Everyone is so proud of their expensive guns that none of the guides ever mock them. However, when you are hunting snow goose with extender tubes, a gun that does not cycle reliably when dirty becomes extremely aggravating. You get one shot when the guy next to you gets to unload. These guys shoot cases of 3" & 3-1/2" shells day after day. The Benelli's recoil gets to anyone eventually. All the guides I know prefer a Winchester sx3. With the Winchester all you need to do is bring a spray can of lube and no matter how messy it gets you can just spray the action and keep shooting. With the Brownings you are getting the same thing but spending more money to get it.

Last edited:
I've hunted waterfowl in some harsh conditions and my Benelli super black eagle II has been more reliable than the Remington 870 pump gun I had used in the past. Now in my opinion that is saying something. I've run cases of ammo through it without a single stoppage, I do take good care of it and if its been through a lot that day it gets cleaned (never saw a semi easier to clean), but it has run good after falling in mud and being filled with water from falling in. A gut who hunts with me shoots a beretta and I have never witnessed a problem or heard him speak negatively about it, however I've never used one. Either gun is probably going to serve you well, as for recoil the only rounds that bother me are the heaviest turkey loads but I only fire 2-3 a year. I usually use kent fasteel and even the 3 1/2" for geese don't bother me at all, however if I'm shooting at my quarry I typically don't notice the recoil.

I know this is way late.....but.....I had to chime in about the Benelli"s excessive recoil account. I've owned and shot almost every modern shotgun out there at ducks and turkeys. I use the largest shells offered from the the factory.....and BY FAR, the Benelli has WAY LESS RECOIL.....and my SBEII and my hunting partners SBEII has never had a hiccup.....and there has been many seasons where I haven't even wiped my Benelli down.....IMHO it is the best shotgun out there.....by far.

I know this is way late.....but.....I had to chime in about the Benelli"s excessive recoil account. I've owned and shot almost every modern shotgun out there at ducks and turkeys. I use the largest shells offered from the the factory.....and BY FAR, the Benelli has WAY LESS RECOIL.....and my SBEII and my hunting partners SBEII has never had a hiccup.....and there has been many seasons where I haven't even wiped my Benelli down.....IMHO it is the best shotgun out there.....by far.

Not too late. In fact most of my confusion has grown. Have you tried the A400? I think I'm now considering the SX3 as well. I'm hoping to get out to shoot clays with guys who graciously let you try out their guns but that will have to wait until after deer season.

Hello

I'm in the market for a shotgun. I'm mainly interested in it for turkey and waterfowl hunting. I've been reading a lot about it and so far (I think) I've narrowed it down to the Benelli SBE II or the Beretta A400. I was hoping to get some opinions and thoughts on these shotguns and what I should be looking for to make my final decision.

I wanted to shoot them before buying but I don't think that's going to happen because I don't know anyone who as them nor any ranges that let you rent these models.

Thanks
Sam

A400 extrema

A400 extrema

+1

I have an Extrema because every other simi auto has failed me at one time or another.

I loved the 10 gauge doubles for there knock down ability and was happy until we were forced to go to steel shot and 10 gauge ammo became almost impossible to find.

When I go after geese or Turkey's I like the power of the 3 1/2'' 12 gauge and after trying most of the popular ones the big Beretta was for a long time the only purpose built 3 1/2" auto (All of the others were Modified 3" guns) .

The Extrema will shoot every thing from a 1 OZ 2 3/4 to a 2 1/4 OZ 3 1/2" turkey load with no ejection problems. (Most shotguns have a spring or piston that has to be changed depending on
the load in order to function properly.

I prefer the over and under for upland game birds and ducks. But when I want lots of power I grab my Extrema and never worry about failures to function .

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Interesting sorry I missed this one. I am shopping for one as well but have pretty much decided on the SBEII. I have shot my friends with 3 1/2 inch shells and I thought it was superb. We are both big guys though. I used to compete with an AL390 and I am sorry I ever got rid of it, it was a very nice shooting gun.

I've been hunting waterfowl for 30 years and have either owned or currently own every good Remington, Beretta, Benelli, and Ithaca out there - pump and autoloader. The comments above about the Benelli not being reliable are laughable - and the goose guides bringing back up guns for guys with Benelli's - pure nonsense. I have several friends who guide goose hunting here in Oregon and most of them shoot SBE's or SBE II's. I love mine.

Back to the original post - I've found that I don't hit as well with Beretta autoloaders as I do other scatter guns. Some just don't fit right. I sold my Beretta Pintail and also my A400 as I would take them to the trap range and hit so many fewer clays than I would immediately thereafter with any other shotgun it was just nuts. So my advice would be to try and shoot them both if you can. This post is so old though, that you've probably already purchased. Let us know what you chose and how you like it.

Thanks for the reply.

I have yet to purchase a shotgun. I live in NJ where the gun laws are just stupid. I wish the homicide rates where inversely proportionate to the pain you have to go through to get a firearms ID but alas that is not the case.

I wanted to go out and shoot some guns to decide which I wanted but so far getting a simple change on my FID card is foiling that plan. If I'm so lucky as to get it back before the summer end I'll try to get out and shoot some guns with the guys on the NJ forums who shoot clays. Maybe one of them will have either gun to try. But if the card come in late then I'm SOL because no shop will let you shoot them around here.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts