Bedding Scope Base???

CaptnC

The above video came up in a thread of mine in the reloading forum. Complements of TheLoneRanger83702!

In making the action as solid as possible he talked about things to help make a factory off the self rifle shoot it's best.

He never mentioned bedding the scope base. I've seen it mentioned before on a Mauser web site because sometime the radius of the rear bridge is not exact after someone removes the stripper clip hump. Ive seen a couple vintage target mausers that actions were bedded in the stock without release agents and the scope bases were done the same way.

Anyone use bedding compound on their scope bases?

Thanks p22 I thought it might be done, but if everything looks ok just torque it down...

I have on a few rifles. If the rail doesn't fit square I bed them to keep any stress or torque off the scope.
I have mounted scopes on quit a few Mauser's . What I found that works is to use nylon spacers. Then nylon comes from nylon sanding pad from a drill unit. The nylon is tough and will molded to the contour of the action and it can be shimmed to check the level with bubble level or feeler gage to check the gap between action and the scope base.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.