Bear load info for 300WSM

So any load data would be great. I will work up.
At the range you intend to shoot IMO you don't need a full power 300 WM load to kill a black bear. So, I would find a load that's around 30/06 velocity and accurate. Why bash yourself around if ya don't have to! Try 66.5 or 67 grs. of IMR 4350,H4350 or R17 powder with your 180 gr bullet and work up from there.

I shoot a custom 300wsm and my all-around deer, elk, black bear load is the Barnes 168 Tipped Triple Shock, H4350, Fed 215M primers at 3150 fps. With this load my effective range is 500yds but here in north Idaho most shots are within 100yds. My longest shot was on a mature bull elk at 325yds thru both shoulders. If you handload beware of COL and long, heavy bullets feeding in a stock magazine with the WSMs.

My son and I each took spring bears this year with my 300 WSM, mine was called in at 80 yards, his was taken at 125. Both were shot with a 190 VLD at .020 jump, over 68 grains of IMR-7828, WW cases and CCI250's. 2900fps. Both were dead in their tracks, and both tumbled to the bottom of the canyon lol. So far, no luck finding a fall bear, but we did call in a cougar on our last trip out. It didn't survive a head on collision with a 140 Accubond out of a 6.5x284. He has since bought a 300 WSM, so it'll be interesting to see how well my pet loads work in his rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.