BDL Bottom Metal for 7saum

Crowe284

I'm putting together parts for a 7saum build. So far I have a stiller predator long action mag bolt face, timmney Calvin elite trigger, proof research sendero contour 8.4 twist that will finish at 26", thinking of going with pvr mad scientist brake and have ordered a manners mcs-t elite fill stock inletted for BDL hinged floor plate.

I chose the regular old BDL hinged floor plate inlet to keep the rifle sleek without an extended DB hanging out the bottom to ride in a backpack and not hang up on anything etc. My question is, can I buy oem Remington long action BDL bottom metal (magnum) with factory mag box, spring and follower and get rifle to feed properly? Any mods necessary?

Smith I talked to about the build said that he has had very good results running the cabelas kwik klip for the saum that is center feed instead of stagger feed and is low profile which I like. But....I would like options...that's part of the fun, thinking about the options! Anybody have any experience with running 7saum out of standard oem bottom metal with stagger feed, will it feed? What do you think about the kwik klip? Seems like a simple piece of bottom metal that fits standard BDL inlet and I can't discount its merit coming from a very good smith even though it dosent cost an arm and a leg like everything else. I'm going simple on the bottom metal on this one, no 70.00 mags and mag hanging down...sleek is the goal here. Just want openions and experience if anyone has any.

Thanks,
Crowe

I once had a 6.5-284 (long action) set up with the Kwik Klip. It took a while to massage the feed lips to feed reliable and because lips were fairly soft, it had to be repeated if dropped. Also, it would rattle a bit too much, so I had to add a wrap or two of electrical tape, to silence it.

If your budget allows, try a suitable for caliber Wyatt box, follower and spring set and Hawkins BDL bottom metal. It's the best set up I have found.

Your Smith may have to tweak it a tiny bit, but it fit perfectly in all my EH-1 Manners stocks w/ Tac 300s and Predator actions.

So, talked to GAP today and have decided to have them build my 7saum. Spent about an hour on the phone and such a pleasure. I'm going to be sending them all my parts and manners, who is basically across the road, is going to take them my stock when ready. We discussed factory oem BDL floorplate and box. After consulting with the entire team, they said yes, it will work and feed as good as any bottom metal. Gap said that no bottom metal is perfect when running a SA round out of a LA. They also said that feeding should not be an issue if you cycle bolt smoothly and don't rip and grip. I'm very confident in them. That's who I'm going with and oem BDL bottom metal is what I'm running. Have one GAP build that is unreal, no reason to think this one won't be the same.

PLease report back in a few months, as I am interested in a similar build, although a may do a DBM instead. But am also thinking about having GAP do a 7saum build for me on a R700 clone L/A, with proper freebore for 180 gr pills.

Will do. I said my barrel was 8.4 twist, that was wrong. It's an 8.24 twist that will finish at 26 and am having a gen 2 little bastard brake installed during build. Told them that I want to run the 180 VLD and 195 eol out of this rifle. Can't wait to get it going. Longest wait will be manners stock...

The bottom metal is of little concern as long as it fits the inlet of the stock. The magazine box and follower are the concerns, here. Might be worth checking to see if Wyatts doesn't make a center feed box for a LA that is of standard length, NOT extended. Added note; Wyatts CFE-13 is a standard length, center feed magazine for the Rem. 700 LA.

Already went another route! AI LA DBM and am going to use Curtis custom 3 round flush mags. No worries with feeding now!

Can you fit 3 SAUM rounds in the Curtis Custom flush mags and have it cycle properly? Not a loaded question, as I have no first hand experience.....but cases seem pretty fat for 3 to fit in a flush mount mag.

Already went another route! AI LA DBM and am going to use Curtis custom 3 round flush mags. No worries with feeding now!

Can you fit 3 SAUM rounds in the Curtis Custom flush mags and have it cycle properly? Not a loaded question, as I have no first hand experience.....but cases seem pretty fat for 3 to fit in a flush mount mag.

It's going to be a dedicated hunting rifle so plan to run two in mag one in the hole. Was told that would work for sure. If I need more than that, I'll reach for another mag or hide my head in shame :) When at the bench can run the 5 round AICS mags as well.

Not sure that it won't run 3 but for sure will run two.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts