BC Goat Hunt rifle suggestions

vanstepm

Have a mountain goat hunt in BC this coming fall and I was wondering what rifle I should bring. Should I bring one I already own or pick up a new lightweight rig. I have a custom 300WM in a manners that weighs in at about 14lbs however i am concerned about weight. Any affordable rifle suggestions? I really like the christensen arms rogue, but would like to hear some opinions. Thanks!

I shot mine with a .300 H&H, and 200 grain Accubond, rifle weighed in 9 lbs total.

!4 lbs would be over the top for me. Less than 7 lbs seems to limit scope choices a bit, as well as not hold quite as teady for me.

A lot of good cartridges that would work well.

my wife got hers with a 308 rem with some 165g game kings. 1 shot and it moved about 15 feet and was done.

just be careful not to shoot them where they will fall and brake there horns

Have a mountain goat hunt in BC this coming fall and I was wondering what rifle I should bring. Should I bring one I already own or pick up a new lightweight rig. I have a custom 300WM in a manners that weighs in at about 14lbs however I am concerned about weight.

Anything more than 10lbs totally decked out is too much, where I've hunted Mt. Goats. You'll hate your 14lb rifle by the time you're coming down off the mountain - even if you're not packing goat out. You'll hate it more if you're packing out a goat too.

Last edited:
I would concur--lighter the better. My custom weighs 6 1/4 with scope and 4 rds. and is a dream to carry and shoot. I would look for a new lightweight rig. Just my .02.

I have a Mtn. Goat hunt also booked in BC this fall and I plan on shooting a 9 lb scoped out 280 AI. I shot my Stone Sheep with it last August, I also have a Moose tag and plan on shooting him with my 280 AI. I've carried an 11 lb 300 Wby for years and its no fun in the mountains. I've tried lighter rifles I just don't shoot them well, especially at longer ranges.

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone! I am young and just getting into goat and sheep hunting, but I am incredibly excited. It seems I need to start looking for a lightweight rifle! Thoughts and suggestion on make and caliber?

Rodneymoncrief...if you don't mind me asking where did you do your stone sheep hunt at. That is next on my dream list and definitely wouldn't mind getting a few pointers. thanks!

Thanks for all the thoughts everyone! I am young and just getting into goat and sheep hunting, but I am incredibly excited. It seems I need to start looking for a lightweight rifle! Thoughts and suggestion on make and caliber?

Rodneymoncrief...if you don't mind me asking where did you do your stone sheep hunt at. That is next on my dream list and definitely wouldn't mind getting a few pointers. thanks!

I got my Stone Sheep ram with Ron Nemetchek's North River Outfitting, I'm going back there this Fall to hunt Mtn Goat and Moose, great outfitter and very accomadating.

Have a mountain goat hunt in BC this coming fall and I was wondering what rifle I should bring. Should I bring one I already own or pick up a new lightweight rig. I have a custom 300WM in a manners that weighs in at about 14lbs however i am concerned about weight. Any affordable rifle suggestions? I really like the christensen arms rogue, but would like to hear some opinions. Thanks!
I live,hunt and have guided for mountain goat here since my 20's. If you show up with a 14 lb rifle it will stay in camp and will use the guides lightweight rifle for the deed. You will be climbing in some testy country and fitness is key. I use a lightweight,short 270 win and is my steady. I won't even hang14 lbs off one side of my saddle and head up the trail,the key is balance. FYI ,I kill goats every year and use a Browning BLR takedown that I have shortened quite a bit-.270 win.Good luck and try a little gun,it will likely be under 200 yard shot.

I live,hunt and have guided for mountain goat here since my 20's. If you show up with a 14 lb rifle it will stay in camp and will use the guides lightweight rifle for the deed. You will be climbing in some testy country and fitness is key. I use a lightweight,short 270 win and is my steady. I won't even hang14 lbs off one side of my saddle and head up the trail,the key is balance. FYI ,I kill goats every year and use a Browning BLR takedown that I have shortened quite a bit-.270 win.Good luck and try a little gun,it will likely be under 200 yard shot.

Guess this is all I need to hear at this point. Pretty straight forward answer. Thanks for all the input guys. I am thinking about picking up a tikka t3x lite in 300WM. Scoped it should weigh in at about 7.5-8 lbs total. Any other rifles I should consider?

Tikkas are great shooting light rifles, you may want to put a muzzle brake on it. The magnum versions have a lot of barrel jump because of the light weight. You can shoot it first to see how recoil is and if it needs a muzzle brake.

Yeah I was actually planning on sending it before I even shoot it as I imagined muzzle jump would be an issue. I think breaks are well worth the money for accuracy sake.

........I won't even hang14 lbs off one side of my saddle and head up the trail,the key is balance....

I don't want to hijack this thread, but would like to hear more of your thoughts on correctly horse packing some of the long range gear showing up in camps.

If you have time, and inclination a new thread on this would be a good read.

I thought I would one more thing.This year I decided to recreate a goat hunt of the past, or a mountain close to me that hunters used a .405 winchester to kill goats,sheep and grizzly bear with.I looked for a .405 and didn't find one so I bought a Marlin gbl 45/70-same trajectory. I will use it to kill a Billy this fall(with 405 grain hardcasts)and iron sights like the old timers did in a book about our area.You can get close to goats,I have hit them with pebbles from above.Anotomically,they are designed to look down and looking up is difficult for them, imo.If you want to learn something about goats one of the best books was written 100 years ago by WT Hornady"Campfires in the Canadian Rockies" It is out of print but easy to get a knockoff print of it.I don't know if you are a reader but if you are- you will love it.Just thinking out loud I suppose.....Tony

Recent Posts