Barrel Threading For Brake Install

Black Tail Hunter

My best friend shoots a Browning A bolt .338 WM and was looking at threading the barrel for installing a brake.

From the research he has done a .338 needs a minimum barrel thickness of .670 so the brake will have enough shoulder to back it up when you tighten it. His barrel measures .610 an inch back from the crown.

So the question is, is there any option for a break on a barrel with a slimmer than recommended profile? Does anyone make a break that will torque against the crown instead of the shoulder?

I am pretty sure a clamp on break is not part of his plan.

Thanks for your input.

He could run a 9/16x24 brake but it won't leave much of a shoulder to butt against and if he takes it on and off a bunch the timing will be off (if it's a brake that needs timed). Another option is to have it threaded extra long in 9/16x24 and make a locking nut to tighten against the brake, kind of like a Savage barrel nut. Some brakes do have shoulders inside that could be used to tighten against the crown but I'd want to make sure the crown was recut with the thread to make sure it's square.

If he had it turned to .562 for a 9/16 thread brake would that leave a safe amount of material to keep the barrel from belling from the pressure?

Any ideas on Mfg. for brakes that would seat from the front against the crown?

I've seen a few barrels swelled in 338 and even high case volume 30's with a 9/16 thread. You might look at Harrels and see, I know some you can shoulder on the crown.

If he had it turned to .562 for a 9/16 thread brake would that leave a safe amount of material to keep the barrel from belling from the pressure?

Any ideas on Mfg. for brakes that would seat from the front against the crown?

For what it is worth, I have a Savage 111F in .300 WM with .585" at the muzzle with Holland's QD muzzle brake (item 916-8050-SS-T) threaded in 9/16-28 since 2003 without any issues.

1024091042b.jpg

Not really sure but the threaded version of the Will Machine's muzzle brake (Threaded Muzzle Brake Threaded Muzzle Brake [MB3] - $89.00 : Witt Machine) might work for you but it is best to consult with them directly. In addition, their warranty/guarantee ...

All of our products are 100% guaranteed. If you don't like it for any reason we buy it back, including shipping, no questions asked.
Good luck!

Ed

Right at the muzzle pressure is minimal. The brake will reinforce the barrel much like the action does on the chamber end. If the brake is over tightened it can put a choke in the barrel. 9/16th will be fine. I know a big shop that builds ultra light rifles who routinely puts 7/16th threads on a 300 RUM. That is about half as thick as a 9/16th on a 338.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.