Barrel Life: A Screed of Old Standby & the Math of the Matter

Where do I find kilojoules per kilogram for powder?
That data is generally pretty easy to get directly from the manufacturer with a quick phone call or email. Honestly it's not easy to find online nor is what you find online going to be 100% reliably accurate so you really need to pick up a horn and push some buttons.

That said, a really quick google search yields voluminous data. Alternatively, I hear QuickLoad has this data.

Some quick links I've googled for you with useful data:
http://www.leroyrifleandpistolclub.org/powder-heat-potential.html

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?297491-A-different-type-of-powder-chart Post #5

Thanks for the article. I have to question one thing though. Your assertion not to shoot a barrel hot. What scientific evidence is this based on? This is something that is often mentioned but never backed up with cold non emotional fact. What is hot? Too hot hold your hand on is likely to be over 60 Celsius or there about. Will that really bother steel? When shooting some matches with 10 shoot strings putting aside your hot rifle is not an option. Has anyone tested throat wear for two rifles one shooting long hot strings and another the same number of shots over a longer cooler period.

There is a lot of data amongst Service Rifle Class shooters about throat erosion and barrel life.

Some of the old data generated is no longer a rule of thumb in part due to the steels used in barrels today, go to Schuemann barrels (they do barrels for competition 1911's) and they discuss how rate of fire can affect the steel and how some cleaners and the cleaning regimen actually make the situation worse.

It makes for an interesting read.

Look under documentation

Last edited by a moderator:
Standard thought for match grade barrels.

If you want to be in the top 1000, then it's wize too do your round count till the target grouping falls apart.

Once this happens you'll know next time how long a barrel will last.

Getting into the top 10,,, your homework will be in action before its shot out.

Don

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.