barrel length

setter

How does barrel length change the velocity of a 22lr? Can a barrel be too long and slow the muzzle velocity or is there an increase up to whatever barrel lengths are typically offered?

I'm going to take a stab at this and if I can say it right. I believe that harmonics dictates how much barrel you can use.

When the gun is fired the barrel flexes, so I would think you need to get the bullet out of the barrel before it affects its flight or trajectory.

There has to be a balance between harmonics and bullet speed. I'm not a expert it's my feelings from putting together thinks I'm learning.

Based on what I know and information I can find 16'' to 18'' is about optimum depending on the brand and bullet weight. the longer barrels will get you a very small increase in velocity up to a point
depending on the brand. I don't know where the barrel length will actually lower the velocity and potentially hurt the accuracy.

I included a link that helps clear this up some but does not establish a barrel length that actually
slows the bullet.

BBTI - Ballistics by the Inch :: .22 Results

J E CUSTOM

I prefer a 20" barrel for 22LR

I own or have owned 16" to 22"

Like the study J E showed us, length does not seem to have much effect on velocity. Like Hammer111 said, I too believe it's harmonics. If the barrel doesn't like the 22LR load as in the harmonics are discordant, the rifle may shoot slow, have poor accuracy or both.

There is no magic perfect formula except almost all rifles like Eley EPS. At $0.24 per shot it that is the way it should be.

I guess I shouldn't worry about buying that rimfire with a 28.6 inch barrel that I have been eyeing to use without a scope other than finding the right ammo that it prefers.

Several years ago when I got my first chronograph it was a fun time at our annual squirrel hunt at camp.
My brother had a Savage 22 with 24 in. barrel. A 452 Varmit CZ. and a 10-22 Ruger.
The Savage rifle shot High speed 22 LR. faster than the CZ or the 10-22 Ruger. But with Eley 22 HP subsonic shells the 10-22 Ruger shot them faster than the CZ or the longer barrel Savage. There is a place in barrel length that once the powder burns the barrel becomes a brake on bullet if it is to long.
I had records on this experiment but I can't find them now, made me think barrel length different now.

I have seen data showing drastically different effects or barrel length on different types of 22 ammo.

Bullet friction and powder speed?
I dunno, but some like 16" and some like 26".

That was 15 years ago at a now out of biz ammo supplier.
This is the same sort of thing
http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.