Barrel harmonics and cronographs

RustyRick

I see long range / target shooters playing around with "harmonic tuning devices on their barrels.

I can't conceive of the fact that certain "clamp on the muzzle" chronographs not changing the harmonics of the barrel?

Do they, or don't they change the harmonics?

Re: Barrel harmonics and chronographs

Yes, they obviously do. The extent of the affect on POI and precision can only be determined thru trial and error on each rifle - one at a time. So the only way to know is to strap one to your barrel and shoot it. The lighter weight/contour barrels are more affected than the heavier contour barrels.

I don't own the strap-on style because I expect it to affect both the precision (group sizes) and the point of impact on my #3, #4 and #5 profile barrels. But they're so handy and reliable that they could still be worth it to simply obtain a few MVs.

I still set up my light sensing chronographs. I have three sets of skyscreens set up on a single rail that provide me with 3 velocities for each bullet fired. It's a hassle compared to strapping a MagnetoSpeed on the muzzle, but I get three (actually four with the Oehler 35 proof channel) velocities and I don't have to worry about the affect the strap-on device has on precision and POI.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts