Backpacks for skinny people

redandwhite72

I'm looking for suggestions for backpacks for skinny people. I am 6'3" tall and weigh between 155 and 160. My hip bones are very visible as well as my shoulder bones. I have an Eberlestock j107 now. It seems to not have enough padding on the hip belt and the shoulder straps seem to be too far apart with the sternum strap being bungy it doesn't stay close enough to my neck. I only use it a week or so every other year. So I hate to spend a bunch if money on an Exo or kafaru. But I hate to suffer through a bad pack for a week at a time.

Once I figured out that I don't need to carry elk bones, I switched to frameless packs, and never looked back. You can buy expensive packs with all the bells and whistles that weigh 7 lbs, or you can buy 1 lb packs which are basically just bags with straps. I've used both, and opt for lighter (around 3.5 lbs.) I find most backs need some additional sewing to handle 70 lbs. of meat. The real key to comfort while packing is to wear your pack every week. The best way to get in shape for a hunt is to fill your pack with 45 lbs. of something and walk with it. You'll get used to the straps, and after about 3 days it won't hurt anymore. Your calves with toughen up, and won't burn on the up hill climbs anymore. When you are comfortable in your pack, you'll hunt better.

In my opinion Badlands Diablo Day Pack should be perfect for you which is super light having a weight of 3lbs only! The pack is light but strong enough to carry heavy weights.

OP, I'm in the same boat. I'm 6'2, and weigh about 160 soaking wet. I used eberlestock packs for quite some time, and found the same issues you did. Recently I ponied up and purchased an Exo K2 3500 after all of the hype and crazy good reviews. I can honestly say it is the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. The hip belt padding is super wide, so instead of sitting on your hip bones, it hugs them from top to bottom. Weighed down, the belt doesn't slip or slide, which had always been the problem with the eberlestocks for me. It's tough to drop that much on a pack, but I doubt you will regret it if you do.

OP, I'm in the same boat. I'm 6'2, and weigh about 160 soaking wet. I used eberlestock packs for quite some time, and found the same issues you did. Recently I ponied up and purchased an Exo K2 3500 after all of the hype and crazy good reviews. I can honestly say it is the most comfortable pack I've ever worn. The hip belt padding is super wide, so instead of sitting on your hip bones, it hugs them from top to bottom. Weighed down, the belt doesn't slip or slide, which had always been the problem with the eberlestocks for me. It's tough to drop that much on a pack, but I doubt you will regret it if you do.

Yeah they are definitely expensive. But if it's comfortable it will be worth it. Glad to hear it's working out well for you. Only time will tell, for me. Lol

Love your wife! All the packs I've ever owned didn't cost that much all together. They didn't talk about the built in anti-gravity unit built into each pack, but for that price they should. You probably won't have to repair ripped seams on yours like I did on my Kelty. Enjoy!

Oh god i know the talk and skinny issue. Im 14 and 5.7' and 1/4" and weigh 115 pounds and my shoulder bone can be seen when I am not wearing a shirt

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.