Backpack help please

wilkup

I'm in the market for a new pack at the $500 price point.

The two I'm currently considering are:
Mystery Ranch Metcalf
Kuiu Icon Pro 5200

I haven't tried either of them on yet, just researching and hoping to pick the brains of anyone more experienced than me at this point.

I've heard great things about Kuiu, but have yet to mess with any of their gear, only owned a few clothing items at this point.

I do high country hunts and prefer to keep things as minimal as possible when packing in. Typically sleep in a bivy and only bring a set of binos, no spotter. Hikes in could be up to 15 miles and last up to a week. I need something that will carry comfortably well and stand up to a decent amount of punishment.

Wilkup,.

Take a look at EXO packs as well. Check out the offerings, as well as their you tube videos on their products. Very informative research info that will help you make a pack decision.

They have a well thought out system, that is well made, versatile, decent weight, & super comfortable.

The bags interchange on the titanium frame & all bags compress very nicely if only partially loaded. They carry a load well & comfortable doing it. Super simple to set up to sandwich game meat between bag & frame for the pack out.

You won't be disappointed. They have some neat 2017 pack updates.

That EXO K2 3500 sounds interesting and similar to the MR Metcalf. I'll be adding that to my list of interests.
Thanks for the recommendation!

The only one I have any experience with is the kuiu. I've used both the ultra 3000 and the icon pro 3200. They both are decent packs. The pro has a few more compartments in the pack and you can adjust it better for packing. Would believe that if you planned on packing fairly heavy loads, 50 plus pounds, the pro would be the better choice. I use the pro for packing both my spike camps and for a day pack. I do like the pack quite well. It's the first pack I've ever used that has been fairly comfortable. Shoulders don't hurt after packing it around day after day. I'm sure that there are a number of packs that would work just as well. My pack weights usually run from about 15-20lbs on up to around 45 lbs. Depending on what I'm doing. Don't know if this helps any. Good luck

I have the Metcalf. I have packed out 75# of elk and a quartered out mule deer not the same trip. It will haul as much as you can carry. Well built and it has great suspension.

I've used both the Metcalf and Kuiu 5200 backpacks. Both are excellent packs but in my opinion the Mystery Ranch pack is the better of the two. I sold the Kuiu and purchased the Mystery Ranch Marshall as a replacement for longer range hunts. I just didn't care for the smaller compression straps on the 5200. When carrying a full load the compression straps didn't hold or control the load as well as my Metcalt. The Mystery Ranch packs use a wider heaver strap with a locking buckle, very nice. I also utilize the Mystery Ranch Crewcab as a day pack, also a very solid built pack.

I am on the search for a pack too, and will probably be starting my own thread with questions and experience at some point as well.

Try before you buy! I was dead set on ordering a MR Metcalf or Cabinet this week based on the great experiences I've had with their packs back when they were Dana Designs. I happened to be passing a MR dealer and tried out the Metcalf yesterday.

The guide light frame system does not seem to work for me. It could be because I am relatively skinny, but have a pretty long torso. The center two stays of the guide light frame drive into my back under ~40 pound load. The poor guy at the shop (was very knowledgeable, and was a great help) spent a long time with me adjusting and readjusting the pack and the load to try and make it work. We got things where they were better (but couldn't fully remove the problem), but I just was not comfortable spending that much on a pack that might not work out the best. I really want the MR to work for me because I really like some of the design features. I may go back and play with them some more.

He did have my try a Seek Outside pack. It was a lot more comfortable under a load, and the bare pack was much lighter. The two packs are very different, but each have some nice features.

I hear a lot of good things about the Kuiu pack systems, but I have heard about quite a few failures on their frame also.

There are SO MANY good packs out there, get out and try as many as you can and one should stand out in comfort and/or features for your uses. A lot of companies will allow you to return packs easily if you have to mail order them.

Do check out Mystery Ranch, Kuiu, Seek Outside, EXO, Kifaru, Stone Glacier, Hill People Gear, Eberlestock to name a few of the top "hunting centric" packs

...Try before you buy!...

^THIS^

The pack must fit you and be secure. I was able to be away with an ill fitting pack only because I stripped the weight to the bare minimum. When I came back from Montana, I took the pack to a shoe repair guy and had the straps sewed in place where I needed them.

Good Luck

Jerry

I never tried the kuiu pack but i have had a MR Crew Cabinet for some years now for my 3-5 days hunts . The one thing I can say about any and all MR PACKS they are pretty much bomb proof. I also one a Kifaru EMR 2 which to me is the best pack anything 5 days or more on the market.

The MR pack your looking at is the way go IMHO

Take a look at "Seek Outside" packs. Very versatile and strong.

"Granite Gear" also makes packs for the military. They are very well made.

Eric B.

Last edited:
You will not wear out the Alaskan Back Pack with the Pinnacle Bag. They are available from Barneys Sports Chalet in Anchorage. It is a favorite of many hard core Alaskan back pack hunters. Nothing else even comes close up here.

Kuiu has a bunch of their bags on clearance right now. I think a new frame is on the way.

HOWEVER- I'm sure it will be interchangable. I use Ultra and Icon Pro bags on an Ultra Frame/Suspension. It's all about what you like.

I don't use my bag for 90 days a year like some of the guides etc. It's more like 10-15 days a year (double that this year). I've been north of 100lbs in it without issues-- no pack will be totally comfortable at that weight. And I trained with 65-75lb with plates/mulch bags without issue.

If price is a concern I think kuiu is a great value for the $, esp on sale.

Try before you buy is nice if you live near a place that has top end packs. I'm tall so I bought a Kifaru. The good thing is that you have lots of options. If I were buying s new pack today I'd call Kifaru and Exo Mountain Gear and talk with them about what you need. Both companies are made in the USA and have outstanding customer service. Both also can help you find something within or near your budget.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.