Audad hunt

Re: Aoudad hunt

New Mexico, SE of state has lots of BLM and state land to hunt aoudad sheep. The price is not to bad if you draw a tag. TX has some state land down near Presidio but not sure if a non res can do this hunt on state land. Do some research in both states. MTG

Call Mike McKinney
West Tex outfitters
(915) 328-0645
Me and group just came back from way South Tx. Tough hunt, but real fun.

Bill Perry with Hidden Creek Outfitters out of Wyoming outfits hunts down in Texas. I was going to go this year, but work got in the way. Definitely will be there next year.

Kind of depends on your budget. The most and best sheep are on private land in
West Texas. The real heart of the best country in Presidio, Jeff Davis and Hudspeth counties is mostly accessed via an outfitter. Some provide access only, and others full blown guided hunts with accommodations.

I hunted Javelina near Shafter, TX some yrs. ago on a ranch. At the time the trespass fee was $150 a day. It has gone up since as there are free range Aoudad on that ranch. Try to contact Al Loustaunau, not absolutely sure of this spelling, in El Paso, TX. I have a phone 915-755-2819. Again this was a few yrs. ago and not at all sure if this will pan out. Who knows? Give it a try. BTW, if you have an RV there is a good RV park in Presidio, TX. There is also a TX state park that you could research in that area. Good luck. MTG

Texas may be your best bet. You can draw in the southeastern part of the state here. I think the draw deadline is early March this year. That is where the majority of the herd is. The other option is if you find a private ranch in the draw area you can buy an over the counter private land tag that is good for Feb. of next year and you don't have to draw, they have unlimited tags, but you do have to hunt on private land. Kind of like Texas where you have to negotiate with the landowner for access fees. The other possibility is they have an over the counter tag out of the draw areas but the sheep are few and far between. The good news is there are unlimited tags and the tag is good for a year. From April 1st this year until Feb. 29th 2016. As far as I know these are all free ranging sheep without any high fences.

Call Stan Cottle in Rocksprings, TX. 830-683-7318. Tell him Troy Brown sent you. TREMENDOUS sheep. Free range and unique shots. You will not be dissapointed!

I would recommend Michael McKinny too out of Southwest Texas.

www.westtexashuntorg.com

I have hunted 3 times with Mike and have taken 3 Aoudad. They have all been great experiences and various locations. Mike has a wide ranging area with 500k acres or so, no property gets over hunted as he only hunts a limited number of rams each place.

I have hunted with him close to El Paso on Hueco mountains, Terlingua ranch (Carroll Shelby's old place) by Big Bend, and then Devil's River by Amistad Lake.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.