Atlas Bipod Review

ADMIN

Administrator
If you have spent some time in the field behind a rifle, it's no secret that you need a quality bipod to accurately engage targets at longer ranges than most are accustomed to. There are a plethora of bipods available on the market, but none come close to what the Atlas bipod has to offer. Its simple, clean, robust design lacks bulk and exposed springs, and works extremely well.Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Atlas Bipod Review, By Joel Russo. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Some of us playing this game are not willing to settle for second best, and are willing to pay for the best engineered equipment available."
--Joel Russo

I can't say it any better than that right there, well stated. I'd like to hear more about the custom action coming out as well.

Thanks for the review Joel, the Atlas is in a category by itself right now & one that i'm glad I found :D

t

I would not call that a review more of an infomercial .
The Atlas is a good bi-pod but so is a Harris , Even though the Atlas has some novel features that does not mean it holds it's POI in all leg positions .
It's one of those things that no matter what any writer says you have try one for yourself to see if it suits you and what you do.

In my view the most distinguishing feature of the Atlas is the slack that is built into the leg movement. Regardless of leg length, the Atlas design enables the bipod to be loaded with minimal forward pressure of the rifle. Thus will allow about 1/8-1/4" of rearward barrel movement when the rifle is fired. Loading the Harris consistently is more difficult due to the rigid leg design. To load the Harris,the legs are flexed under forward pressure. Leg length, surface, and degree of forward pressure, are variables that require attention which can be a source of inconsistency with POI. I have been able to more easily maintain POI with my 300WM and 6.5-284 whether off a smooth bench, or prone on cement, dirt, grass, etc. This is the feature that I think justifies the the extra cost and switch to the Atlas for me. While the Atlas is very well made, cleaner,lighter, and has more positioning flexability, there are aspects of the Harris that I prefer. It doesn't rattle, the spring loaded legs are faster to get into action, and I prefer the Pod Lock for leveling the scope which I think enables faster, and more positive leveling of the scope. The friction type leveling of the Atlas can be sticky unless well broken in and the tension adjusted properly. IMHO.

In my view the most distinguishing feature of the Atlas is the slack that is built into the leg movement. Regardless of leg length, the Atlas design enables the bipod to be loaded with minimal forward pressure of the rifle. Thus will allow about 1/8-1/4" of rearward barrel movement when the rifle is fired. Loading the Harris consistently is more difficult due to the rigid leg design. To load the Harris,the legs are flexed under forward pressure. Leg length, surface, and degree of forward pressure, are variables that require attention which can be a source of inconsistency with POI. I have been able to more easily maintain POI with my 300WM and 6.5-284 whether off a smooth bench, or prone on cement, dirt, grass, etc. This is the feature that I think justifies the the extra cost and switch to the Atlas for me. While the Atlas is very well made, cleaner,lighter, and has more positioning flexability, there are aspects of the Harris that I prefer. It doesn't rattle, the spring loaded legs are faster to get into action, and I prefer the Pod Lock for leveling the scope which I think enables faster, and more positive leveling of the scope. The friction type leveling of the Atlas can be sticky unless well broken in and the tension adjusted properly. IMHO.

I agree with all that. A lot of what we like is what we are used to and comfortable with . One thing I don't like about Harris is the way it attaches to a sling stud it is fraught with flexing and loosening problems with heavy guns and big recoil . However I conveted one to a American Defence QD adapter and locked it in place on the bipod with epoxy and extra screw pressure and then lock wired the tightening wheel so it never moves and it's much better now. I do like aspects of the Harris as far as ease of use goes but I also like the Atlas . Most of my issue is learning to use the Atlas properly as it new to me .

I would appreciate hearing the pros and cons or comparison of the 2 models that Atlas offers. I have a McMillan A3 Sporter Lightweight stock for my new build .300 Win Mag. on a M700 LA. Good sound practical Information on this site has brought me this far.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

I would appreciate hearing the pros and cons or comparison of the 2 models that Atlas offers. I have a McMillan A3 Sporter Lightweight stock for my new build .300 Win Mag. on a M700 LA. Good sound practical Information on this site has brought me this far.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Actually, there is only 1 model...available in 3 mounting options. I've been using the BT10-LW17 for the QD mount as I have multiple platforms. This was and additional feature that worked perfect for me. I also use the BT-15 mount as it has an integral Flush Cup style recess.

As was mention there are optional leg extensions available giving added flexibility but there are 3 other options NOT mentioned that are due credit. 3 optional feet designs that can also be purchased. The Spikes feet, Cleat feet and Ski feet. They can be swapped out quickly via a push on the stainless steel plunger ball.

While these do come with a price far north of the beloved Harris but, for the discerning end user whether it be Military, LEO, Hunter of Enthusiast these are the pinnacle of bipod design and craftsmanship.

I want to thank all of you for your tips and suggestions. My new build will be largely the the result of information that I have gleaned from LRH. My eyes hurt some evenings because there is so much good sound information in the forums and I just can't put it down. Also thanks to Len for taking his personal time to help me.
I ordered the Atlas Bipod - BT10-LW1, 4 inch rail and the 3" leg extensions from Len today.

Hi Joel,

Thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you like the Atlas. I remain impressed with your stock work and if I steal the one you made for our mutual friend, I'll suggest he gets another from you! :)

Hi Tim, thanks for the heads up to this thread and you are correct in your post. It was good seeing you and thanks again for your business and yes, I cashed your check!

Hi Joel,

Thank you for the kind words and I'm glad you like the Atlas. I remain impressed with your stock work and if I steal the one you made for our mutual friend, I'll suggest he gets another from you! :)

Hi Tim, thanks for the heads up to this thread and you are correct in your post. It was good seeing you and thanks again for your business and yes, I cashed your check!

For those of you who do not know Kasey, he is the owner of B&T Industries, who manufacturers the Atlas bipod. His customer service is unparalleled as is his commitment to manufacturing the finest engineered products available to our discipline. Thanks for all you do Kacey!

I want to thank all of you for your tips and suggestions. My new build will be largely the the result of information that I have gleaned from LRH. My eyes hurt some evenings because there is so much good sound information in the forums and I just can't put it down. Also thanks to Len for taking his personal time to help me.
I ordered the Atlas Bipod - BT10-LW1, 4 inch rail and the 3" leg extensions from Len today.

Final note. Order placed with LRH on Wednesday afternoon. It was delivered to my home in AZ on Friday afternoon. Incredible customer service!! The Atlas Bipod is more than I had expected.
Thank you again to Joel, Len, Kasey and everyone else for your comments and input. I would not have made this purchase without all of the first hand knowledge.

I am considering buying this Bipod.My question is, can I use it while in a sitting position. I was wondering if you could buy extentions to use while hunting? Ed
05-23-2013 04:03 AM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.