At long range do you dial, BDC turret, graduated reticle, holdover, etc?

At long range do you dial, holdover, etc.

• Dial using handheld software

Votes: 293 31.1%
  • Dial using drop chart data

Votes: 288 30.5%
  • Use a graduated reticle

Votes: 111 11.8%
  • Use a BDC yardage turret

Votes: 119 12.6%
  • Holdover

Votes: 121 12.8%
  • Pass on the shot

Votes: 11 1.2%

• Total voters
I am surprised more of you didn't choose holdover. Just remember that when you dont have balistic calculators, charts for that load, a bdc recitle, or etc., that the ability to use holdover at long ranges will be a valuable asset.

I voted for "Dial using ballistic software". However, it depends on the situation... If I have the time to go this route, I will use it. But if time is of the essence, I will use a hold over from a data card.

I was at a night shoot about a month ago. We engaged targets from 200m to 510m. I dialed for the mid-range and used hold overs from there as it was a timed event.

SL

I dial for all my long range shots. Making sure my inputs into the software are solid by validating my rifle. Then just print a range card for the area Im hunting(temp, elevation, etc.). Has worked for me

When you're in the middle of a hunt and an opportunity presents itself, we all should agree that it's important to know your equipment and be comfortable with the shot you are going to take. Bottom line, buy what will work the best for your shooting style and then be a safe and responsible shooter.

I dial using software on my cell phone, but I will switch over to prepared charts or range cards for hunting due to the amount of rain my locale sees in the fall and winter. Phones are expensive to replace!

I'm mostly using software now because I still haven't settled on the exact load yet. Once I stop fiddling I will get my MV validated and print off some cards for different atmos for each elevation I might hunt in.

I wish there was a "yes" option, because at one time or another I have done them all. I am finding that dialing MOA with a drop chart is my most consistent method, but the BDC reticle is working as well.

You'al gave some good info on BDC 's ... My wife just bought me a new scope , the Nikon Monarch 4 - 16 X , and I haven't shot any long shots yet. I sent for a calculator for it . Its a whole new world for me on this scope (Savage 308), can't wait to try it out, on some hogs and yotes.

None of the above. Strap on a Burris Eliminator and pull the trigger.
Gotta agree! I love my Eliminator ever since I got older and have a hard time milling in (eyes hearing remembering data-lol) I just adjust the drop number by weather conditions before I leave the house and its spot on, That being said I hunt with my son more often now he has my old mill dot if the electronics ever fail. But never had a problem yet.........gun)-Knock- on- wood

Recent Posts