Arctic Grizzly Hunt

Actually, with a muzzle velocity of only a tad over 2600 fps, it expanded on this wolf at about 250 yards, leaving a big exit wound:

URL]

Partitions are pretty soft up front, and expand readily. My load was near max over H4350 and pleased me with excellent accuracy.

Guy

Where did you hit the bear? Hit bone? I might draw a black bear this fall. I have been loading 180 partions. Only shot deer.

Looks a lot like the bear I saw while caribou hunting last year. I'm guessing you were up in the Brooks? Did you drive to Fairbanks or did you meet the charter flight farther north? That country is among my favorite, it's breath taking and awe inspiring all at the same time. I love going up to the brooks to hunt.

Sorry guys - forgot to get back here and answer some questions:

Yes, I drove to Fairbanks, flew out with Wright's Air Service.

Outfitter was Alaska Skookum Guides, Lyle Becker. Nothing but good to say about Lyle, or the terrific bear guide he also hired for this trip; Joey Klutsch. Both of 'em know their stuff!

Hit bone? Yes. First hit on the grizzly was at about 40 yards when he turned and offered me his right leg/shoulder. I took it. The 200 gr Partition smashed that bone, and entered the chest/lungs. Bear instantly dropped and rolled. He was dying then, BUT... There were thick willows nearby and he was up in a flash, heading for them. The guide and I both fired a couple more times, hitting and missing. He was back down in seconds.

I had gone through the four rounds in my magazine, and finished the bear while he was dying, with two shots at about 15 yards, from my guide's .338 Win mag. Those were 225 gr Barnes TTSX bullets, in Barnes factory ammo.

I am completely satisfied with the performance of the long 200 gr Partition, and the .30-06 rifle. My .375 would have been even better, but I chose the lighter rifle, that I carry more easily and shoot better at 300 yards.

There is room for only one rifle on a hunt like this and more things must be considered, rather than just raw power. Ahead of time, ability to make good hits at 300 yards was stressed, and the importance of having a lighter rifle, easily carried in rough country, was also stressed. I am very familiar with this 30-06 700 CDL, as most of my hunting has been with it, and a twin 700 CDL in .25-06 Rem.

Interestingly shots over 300 yards, on game that hadn't been wounded, were discouraged. Actually I'm fine with that re grizzly. I really don't want a wounded grizzly at 500 or 600 yards... Not my idea of a good thing. And, having hunted a fair bit, I know even the best marksmen can miss or make a bad hit. I sure have!

I think that covers it, but if you've got other questions, let me know. It was a wonderful hunt in every aspect!

Regards, Guy

.....The 200 gr Partition smashed that bone, and entered the chest/lungs.

.......Interestingly shots over 300 yards, on game that hadn't been wounded, were discouraged. Actually I'm fine with that re grizzly.......

Still a good bullet, I haven't used it much for awhile, but wouldn't hesitate to load one in my 30-06 and hunt with it again.

To get the full value of the experience some game is meant to be taken close.

I'll agree whole heartedly HARPERC. I can't imagine hunting something like that and "simply" setting up and taking a long poke. The 2 bears i shot in alaska were both taken with in 100yds after a careful stalk. I can safely say I used up about 2 years worth of heart beats in those stalks, and wouldn't have it any other way. Well done OP, Alaska is the tops!!

Most definitely Guy, with my first brown bear I was totally solo and tossed small rocks at the bear for about 10min after it stopped moving. Guess I may have thought it was more dangerous than it was at that point.

Fantastic hunt! Great pictures! I did a similar hunt for my 50th birthday. I hunted brown bear along a river in SE AK. Took a nice 9' bear at about 30 yards across the river with my 416. I had wanted to hunt big bears since I was old enough to read about them. So, all you people out there with hunts on your bucket list.....get out there and hunt. Time on this earth is short!

congrats!! can you give anymore details on the hunt & or the shot? who was the guide service or any of that kind of info. as well would be greatly appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.