Arctic Grizzly Hunt

Guy M

One heck of a hunt. A 50 year dream for me - and now it's happened. Grizzly in the Arctic!

These fellows aren't as big as the coastal brown bear or the monsters on Kodiak, but they're good bears... No salmon for them. I was rewarded with a large male, with excellent color, the way interior grizzlies often have.

Nothing exotic for the rifle. I used my familiar 30-06 Rem 700 CDL with an old 2-7x Redfield. Same as I used last fall for four animals. Did bump up to the 200 gr Nosler Partition.

It was truly the hunt of a lifetime, and I'm grateful to have had the opportunity.

Regards, Guy

Looks like one heck of a trip. Great job and done with the all time all around cartridge.

Steve

I had wondered if 200 would fail to expand. But I guess it works.

Congrats. May have to load up some.

Actually, with a muzzle velocity of only a tad over 2600 fps, it expanded on this wolf at about 250 yards, leaving a big exit wound:

Partitions are pretty soft up front, and expand readily. My load was near max over H4350 and pleased me with excellent accuracy.

Guy

Were you in Canada or Alaska? I have been north of the Yukon River, just to the circle, in Alaska, but on motorcycle.

Were you in Canada or Alaska? I have been north of the Yukon River, just to the circle, in Alaska, but on motorcycle.

Alaska.

I drove up this time. Have been to Alaska several times, starting in the late 1970's, but this was my first time driving. The drive itself was an adventure, and I kept thinking what a great ride it could be, on my motorcycle!

Guy

It was great. I met a guy who rides up, sells his bike, and flys home. Says about breaks even, which isn't bad, figuring saving time. I get attached to my bikes though.

Hit some mud right after the river near helo pad, they just wetted it. That was bad. Had to wait for semi to go through and ride tracks out, after dumping full dresser 3 times.

Now I want to go up, and shoot something big.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.