AR10 - Buy or Build

Anyone running a suppressor on an AR10/.308? I was looking at the surefire brake and suppressor combo!

The can on this rifle attaches to a QD flash hider, but they have a break attachment as well. I don't use the YHM Phantom much anymore, I usually have a Thunderbeast 30BA mounted...but I never shoot without the suppressor anyway.

It looks a little different now, optic swap and new cerakote but this baby has been so fun to shoot it's scary...and the new SAUM upper I've got getting worked on will be off the chain!

300SASS.jpg

Nemo Arms is going to be making/carrying a .308 Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group Soon! Here are some details:

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION
A completely assembled, ready to install DPMS® compatible .308 Bolt and Carrier System. Kit includes five critical parts that are treated with nickel boron. Treated parts include; Bolt, Bolt Carrier, Extractor, Cam Pin, Carrier Key. Coating makes the bcg easy to clean, and the lubricity of the coating makes your rifle run uper smooth.

Quality features include:

Case Hardened, Shot Peened and MPI Bolt (Magnetic Particle Inspected)*
NiB-X Coated Bolt (40% more wear resistant than Chrome with a very Low Coefficient of Friction)
One-piece Gas Ring
NiB-X Coated Carrier
Chrome Lined Gas Key
Grade 8 Hardened Fasteners
Extractor Ring
Mil-Spec Staked Gas Key
Firing Pin and retainer pin

It was on there site yesterday when I called, however, today it's off! They said it will be released soon. Price was 349$

I am thinking of building a single lower and three uppers, 7mm-08, 7.62 nato, .358 win. The 7mm-08 for longer ranges (for me nowadays that is about 500yd, 700 absolute max)
deer, antelope. The 7.62 just because, and the .358 for hogs (and bear LOL).
These along, with my AR-15, should cover all my needs for centerfire rifles. But since I am new to AR's (old with M-1, M14) I am uneasy about swapping uppers. I am tempted to build two lowers and keep the 7mm always together permanently, for accuracy reasons, swapping only the 7.62 and the .358. The cost of the extra lower might be better spent on a better scope, if I was sure that swapping the upper has little or no effect on accuracy of the unit.

Build 1 bullet proof lower and have at it. I have 3 lowers and 9 AR uppers of various chamberings. Works great. I prefer the OP4 side charging uppers. better fit, finish and much more accurate IMHO.

I would like to take the opportunity to introduce myself and through my two cents in. I'm a retired military engineer and marksmanship instructor living in Michigan. I bought a DPMS LR 308C last year (after ordering it a year before) and was not overly inspired by the performance. It shot 1.5 moa not terrible but not great. I went to work on hand loads this year, arriving at some impressive results. A nosler 168gr silver tip over 41 grs of IMR 3031 printed a 3 shot group at less than .25 moa. Needless to say I was ecstatic. Trigger is terrible but for a production gun it far exceeded my expectations. At just over a grand it cost a lot less than my custom bolt gun.

Put a CMC drop in trigger (3.5-4 lbs) in her and you will love it. 168$

My wish list for an AR10 Build (.308):

Mega Arms MATEN MKM Keymod Receiver Set (3 Piece)
(MKM-5520-HA-SA Extended Rifle Length ($914)

RRA Lower Parts Kit (LPR)
(AR0120NMER - Lower Receiver Parts Kit, Two Stage Trigger, ERGO Grip RH Black ($200)

Nemo Arms Bolt Carrier Group
(.308 Nickel Boron Bolt Carrier Group ($349)

Precision Reflex Inc.
(.875 Profile Adjustable Gas Block w/ Straight Gas Tube ($85)

Bartlien 5R – 22" 1-11.25" ($350). Will be barreled/chambered by GAP

SureFire Muzzle Brake SOCOM Series
(SFMB-762-5/8-24 ($149)

Magpul PRS Stock
(PRS® Precision-Adjustable Stock – AR10/SR25 (7.62x51) Model ($255)

Rifle Length Buffer Tube
(DPMS Receiver Extension Buffer Tube AR-15 A1/A2 Stock ($16)

Heavy Buffer and spring
(AR10R-XH – 10 Ounces - $125)

Nothing etched in stone yet, but I like what I see!

I just got a maten mkm extended upper for $850 and I'm going with a rainer select barrel. you might consider them, I've read good things. Also you can get a NiB BCG from shadow ops weaponry for $218. Supposed to be pretty nice. I'll post pics and prices as I build should get the maten next week to start. It'll come in well under $2k.

Well I wanted to let EVERYONE KNOW stay away from Shadow OPs Weaponry and their .308 BCG. Horrible outfit. I've been charged, have seen no merch, and tried 20+ times in half a dozen ways to contact them; with not a reply one. I've started a dispute claim against them, and upon some more research i've found similar accounts...

Here is a slide show of what I have so far. The Mega Maten extended set is very impressive. Fit and Finish is second to none, that I've looked at. This is all just a test fit on the parts I have, I just ordered most of the stuff to finish it so I'll get more pics up. You get a lot in that MATEN set. The charge handle, barrel nut w/ wrench, and nicest of all the take down pins/bolt release (ambi) is already installed. If you get it here is my parts list to finish, that I purchased in pieces:
-DPMS (midway has a good promo going now)
--Buffer detent
--Buffer detent spring
--Oversize safety
---Safety detent
---Safety detent spring
--mag release kit
-Armalite trigger group I'll work over
--JP trigger spring kit
--The lower's got a grip bolt hole that is threaded all the way through, so you can get a set screw to run all the way through to take up the slack in the trigger and really make it work nice.
--JP anti-walk trigger and hammer pins SM
-CNC buffer tube, bought on ebay out of utah, good quality IMO $16 shipped
--Tapco single point end plate (ebay)
--DPMS Carbine length buffer spring (rainer arms)
--DPMS Carbine Buffer, both for commercial ar buffer tube
-18" Rainer Select (it is dimpled) and fit very nice!
-Syrac genII adj. low pro gas block, set screw
--DPMS mid length gas tube
-Mission First Tactical grip
-Mission First Tactical Battleling low pro utility stock
-"Ross" Brake
-Badger large charge handle release (i'll see if it fits the provided mega handle)

*BCG, I've heard some phenomenal things about the shadow ops stuff. That said, its been a couple of weeks and I've yet to hear anything about my order that they have charged me for. I've called everyday, emailed, facebook, fax, etc.etc. I CANNOT GET A REPLY. I'm trying to cancel my order and I've initiated a dispute with my CC, WE'LL SEE.

I'm debating on using a SAA NiB bcd, looks good, lifetime warranty, good steel. Most importantly I've called and was able to get a response! Either them or a KAK melonite coated, also looks good. I"m trying to save a little money on a good BCG Some are overpriced IMO.

Everything should come it real close to $1600 click for pics---->CLICK ME

Added some more pictures to the previously linked slideshow. Got it all done, there were some fitment issues. If you use the same parts list as I did be prepared to:
1. I had to grind a spot on the oversized DPMS safety. there is a stop that is machined into the lower mega receiver for a normal safety, with the oversized safety you could not position it all the way down without hitting that stop so I had to grind a relief point into that safety to make it work. If I were to do it again I would probably just use a DPMS ambi safety or a standard safety
2. With my particular syrac gas block and the rainier barrel, it is very tight 2 inches in front of the gas block shoulder on the barrel. I had to take 600 grit wet dry sandpaper and polish the inside of the gas block, I would recommend this anyways as they were micro slightly inside, where the set screws were threaded through. Actually my first barrel was so tight that I ruined the finish on the barrel when I put the gas block on it just wedged on there and I really ruined the finish trying to get it off. rainier arms was good enough to send me a new one I think that the gas block section was just a little larger than normal tolerances on the first because I had no trouble on another .750 barrel. Anyways they were really good about it, very impressed.
3. Before installing the gas block I put the barrel in the freezer for a couple hours and when I was ready to install it I had to put the gas block in my oven, and heat it up to 220° and then install it on the barrel, to get it to fit easily.
4.using the anti walk (small) pins I had to open up the holes in the lower with a drill to get them to fit through. Easy...

My trigger turned out unreal, easily on par with some of the aftermarket triggers that I've experienced if not better. Its just a standard armalite trigger that I polished and used a JP 3.5 lb spring kit. The mega lower is threaded all the way through where the grip screw goes. Use a 1/4x28 setscrew and thread it up through the hole you have to do some work on the trigger and safety to get it work if you end up liking all the creep taken out. What it does is lift the rear of the trigger group up setting the trigger lower in the notch in the sear. Breaks very clean at 3.25 lbs (or so) worked great!
27f407d4b3a2df5c9fc5930192d852a2_zps42c4c028.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.